PDA

View Full Version : With a group or by yourself?

Pat Lorenz
03-01-2005, 12:24 AM
How do most of you railfan/ photograph? I know everybody would prefer being with a group or another person but how many go out by yourself? I just wanted to see some numbers. I usually go out with a couple of my friends but they will be moving soon so looks like i will be all alone out there.
PAT

busyEMT
03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I have always gone out by myself. When I was a kid, I would ride my bike to the yard in Missoula, MT. Occasionally a friend would come with. Summer vacations I travelled with my dad (a Tamper operator for BN), and spent my days by myself trackside from Sandpoint, ID to Havre, MT.

To this day I find myself railfanning alone. I enjoy meeting people trackside and sharing stories.

Ken Carr
03-01-2005, 01:32 AM
It depends some times a small group of one or two. Brett W and I railfan together every week or so for a few hours or longer. The normal annual Cops and colonels meet on the Transcon is a group of six to eight of us. We split up into two or three groups and then meet up at specific places. The rest of the time I railfan alone especially the night shots here in Vegas.

E.M. Bell
03-01-2005, 01:56 AM
I really dont care for going out alone, but dont care for large groups either. We have a pretty tight knit groiup of guys around here, and its not uncommon for most of us to be out on a pretty weekend, but not always at the same spot. Spreading out works good, communicate via ham radio or nextell as to whats running and everyone gets different spots..

I have always enjoyed the social aspects of the hobby as much as the trains...its just no fun to spend the day alone....you dont have anyone to complain about all the GE's to :)

Joe
03-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Usually just me, sometimes one or two friends come along. About once every two months a bunch of us will get together and have some railfannin fun.

cmherndon
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
its just no fun to spend the day alone....you dont have anyone to complain about all the GE's to

Emmett, would this fall under the category of "RBF"? :lol:

I prefer a small group ("We got oursleves a CONVOY") just as long as everyone gets a different angle. I think that's getting better now the group realizes that photo lines are the devil. A joke we've made in the past referring to good power is "Princeton (Indiana) or dark" or "Chattanooga or dark" if we're so inclined to chase said train.

Ween
03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I've been alone every single time, except for one when I went with Moe Bertrand. Not that I don't like people, but I do enjoy 'me' time. 'Me' time means me, my brain, my music (or O'Reilly, Rush or Sean Hannity), and my camera (i.e. no work or anything related to work). Another problem is I've been moving around so much that it's hard to find anyone who's into the hobby (I did meet a guy in Altus on the net, but we never had a chance to get out together). I guess model RR shows would be a good place, but I'm not into modeling (again, the whole moving thing).

I'm a loner, Dottie, a rebel [/Pee-Wee Herman]

Joe the Photog
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I kinda prefer going out by myself as Ween up top said he did as well. I like the quiet time or the radio time, what have you. I enjoy meeting other fans by happenstance when that happens or even at Carolina Rails (Yahoo Group) meets, which don't actually nearly as often as they should. But here's where I *might* be different. My wife loves to go out with me fanning as well. So we pack up a cooler and the kids and spend aday at it at least once a month.

At the end of this month, we're going down to some Georgia shortlines to fan and maybe some in Tenn. depending on how the $$$ holds up. I think she's looking forward to it at least almost as much as I am.

Oh, and my five year old son ccan't get enough of it either. Sometimes I will take off with just him and he'll remember all of the trains we saw that day. He takes after me. His "favorite" train is the "blue choo-choo."

[photoid=93742]
[photoid=95005]
[photoid=90635]

Joe H.

4kV
03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Most of the time I go out with either one other person or my daughter, who is part of this nuttiness not by choice, but by the fact she is only 3. She'll see the light some day and think I am nuts. I'd say half the time it is by myself, half the time with someone else. I prefer to stay away from the big groups, unless it is a specific gathering somewhere.

Ween, if I would have known you when you were here in STL, I'd have gone with you. We could have taken pictures of UP engines on the B&O all day!

Ween
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Ween, if I would have known you when you were here in STL, I'd have gone with you. We could have taken pictures of UP engines on the B&O all day!<!-- / message -->

Ha ha ha ha!! The truth is, I didn't move away because the government told me to go; I moved on my own to get the hell away from the UP!!!

4kV
03-16-2005, 08:26 PM
That's what I thought. I'm waiting to see your first BNSF train through Grand Forks with a UP on the point. Then where will you move?

busyEMT
03-16-2005, 10:25 PM
But here's where I *might* be different. My wife loves to go out with me fanning as well. So we pack up a cooler and the kids and spend aday at it at least once a month.
Joe H.

My wife enjoys spending the day with me also, on the rare weekend I have off. Unfortunately, I don't see a whole lot when she is with. Last summer we travelled over 100 miles in 8 hours, between St. Cloud and Dayton's Bluff, and only saw one train!

cactus65
03-17-2005, 04:58 PM
usually I take my 9 yr old son with me, nothing like seeing the look in his eyes when he hears the horn or sees the headlight and knows there is one coming.
He is now about as addicted as his dad, which is a good thing

trainmonster
04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I prefer alone. I need the quiet time interspersed with the excitement-want to go where I want;I'm pretty much a loner anyway. I am married but she is just not into it. How I wish she was...

Rich