PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! A&K Materials to abandon a portion of the Grenada Railway

ShortlinesUSA
08-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I think pretty much everyone saw this coming at some point. The economics of both this and the Natchez Railway were questionable at the time CN dumped them to A&K, as there is not a whole lot of online traffic on either line.

http://www.grenadastar.com/v2/content.aspx?module=ContentItem&ID=220969&MemberID=1218

I hope they can keep the north end viable. I have also heard the Natchez Railway is not doing well at all, though local governments and shipping interests are considering taking action to preserve rail service on that line.

ShortlinesUSA
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
As an update, A&K has withdrawn the abandonment petition for now. Sounds strikingly similar to the west end of the old TP&W-- A&K thought they were in for a smooth abandonment, and were instead met with a great deal of pushback and other operators ready to file Offers of Financial Assistance for the line.

In this case, both Iowa Pacific and Pioneer Railcorp expressed interest in the line. Pioneer was successful in getting the west end of the TP&W away from them, and it now operates as the Peoria & Western with the F-unit powered freight trains fans enjoy so much.