PDA

View Full Version : NERR and FIMX ops?

nikos1
10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
A few questions for Mike or anyone else that has any insight.
Does anyone know how often NERR runs towards Cookeville? Seems like they are bringing sand trains out of Monterey on a fairly regular basis. Any clue what power is being used on the road jobs? I would prefer to shoot either the ATSF B23-7's or the N&E painted unit but the BNSF B40-8W's would do if thats all there was.
For FIMX, are they still running M-W-F, leaving Crab Orchard in the morning and returning back around mid day? Would be ideal if I could get FIMX in the morning then NERR heading west in the afternoon, though I also have Tuesday free to get NERR if they are running then.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe the Photog
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
You should contact Doyle Massey if he doesn't see this post. I believe he could probably help you out. FWIW, what you said is the last information I heard on the Frank.

ShortlinesUSA
10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Friends in Nashville area say the NERR is heading out the east end 3 or more times a week with the sand traffic from Monterey. Believe that will slow down over the winter, but then propane to Cookeville picks up. Days are not really predictable. You can likely expect the B40s will be on the sand trains. At least they've lettered those for NERR.

No changes to the FIMX schedule, Monday and Friday are the best bet days, run Wednesday if they need to. They're on duty 0600 Central.

Definitely check with Doyle, as Nikos recommends...

nikos1
10-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks Mike,
Is NERR railfan friendly in that they would tell me what they are running if I called the yard office?
I guess I will just have to hope FIMX runs late, will be hard to get any light on the trestles that early, have contacted Doyle and hopefully he will reply.

ShortlinesUSA
10-11-2011, 03:32 AM
My experience with the NERR is they've been "mildly tolerant." I've run into some really friendly guys on the phone, some others who don't wish to be bothered or give out any info. I called up there before the FRA put out their advisory on not disclosing info, as well. A call can't hurt, but I guess what I'm really trying to say is don't be surprised if you don't come away with anything. I used to routinely call shortlines before a visit, but have pretty much gotten away from the practice.

nikos1
10-11-2011, 04:09 AM
I've always had a good experience calling shortlines but its always been with little mom and pop operations.
While I am at it, any current info on the Caney Forks & Western? I know they butchered there two GP9's but the line still has some amazing scenery. Have the units been repainted green yet? If I could get them running then it would defiantly be worth it regardless of the state of the power.

ShortlinesUSA
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
There hasn't been much news on the CFWR lately. To the best of my knowledge, 105 (ex 531) has not been repainted, and I have seen nothing to indicate 2345 has returned from Ohio after it's rebuild. They typically use the CR painted GE, as it is good on fuel economy. They have been running to Tullahoma on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though this can vary based on when CSX has interchange for them. That should have them running up to Sparta any time M-W-F, but I can't guarantee they are on that end all three days. There is a pretty big propane distributor near Sparta, so as colder weather sets in, traffic up there picks up.

nikos1
10-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Well thats rather disappointing, its the biggest shame that they chopped those as built geeps, but its half as bad that they have left the 105 running around for a year in that primered mess. As unappealing as the Conrail GE is, I guess its better than the geep until they paint it. Would like to get the bridge shot at Rock Island regardless of the power. I guess I'll just have to call.

ShortlinesUSA
10-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Checked with a contact in the area, info I gave is still current. 105 still in old paint plus primer on the chop job, 2345 (to be 106) still not back from Cleveland a YEAR later. I somehow suspect CFWR won't be recommending the rebuilder to others...