PDA

View Full Version : G&W leases Albany, GA to Hilton, GA line from NS

ShortlinesUSA
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
This is a pretty substantial acquisition for the G&W, as it will now allow their system in south Georgia to connect all the way from Albany to Panama City, FL. This cluster of shortlines is becoming much like the Buffalo & Pittsburgh in the Northeast, with several shortlines coming together to form a respectfully sized regional railroad.

I would not be at all suprised to see the Heart of Georgia RR pulled into the fold within the next few years. That would give them a system stretching from the Port of Savannah to the Gulf of Mexico.

Here's the news clip and link:

Genesee & Wyoming Signs Agreement to Lease Rail Line in Southwest Georgia from Norfolk Southern
GREENWICH, Conn., Nov 02, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (GWI) (NYSE: GWR) announced today that its newly formed subsidiary, the Hilton & Albany Railroad, Inc. (HAL), has signed an agreement with Norfolk Southern Railway Company (NS) to lease and operate a 56-mile segment of NS track that runs from Hilton, Georgia, to Albany, Georgia.

Operations are expected to begin in January 2012. The HAL is expected to handle approximately 12,000 carloads annually, primarily overhead traffic between NS and GWI's Bay Line, Chattahoochee Bay, and Chattahoochee Industrial railroads. In addition, the HAL will serve several local agricultural and aggregate customers in southwest Georgia.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=64426&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1624736&highlight=

nikos1
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Acquiring the HOG could open up some real potential for the G&W system, I hope it doesnt happen though, as it is already big orange owns half the shortlines in the state. What of the rumors that they will be bringing a pair of SD90MAC's for power (ex-AZER?), that would be interesting to see.
I'm glad I took the time to photograph this line in the last year of NS operations.
[photoid=365041]
[photoid=365274]
[photoid=366342]

ShortlinesUSA
11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Haven't heard any plans for the AZER power, nor any certain confirmation if any came with the deal. Last I know, even before the sale of the AZER, Iowa Pacific was planning on selling their fleet of B39-8Es after acquiring the group of ex CIT SD9043MACs.