PDA

View Full Version : Columbus area shortlines

nikos1
11-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Does anyone have info on the CAGY, LXOH, GTRA, ABS and AGR ops around Columbus? I will be there Monday and hoping to do good with the shortline action. I would say getting some CAGY scheme units is a priority. I would also really like to chase the ABS south to Tuscaloosa to get them crossing the wooden trestle. Does anyone know the current schedules? I know they have been running at night between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham since the bridge was destroyed. Also does anyone have some info on the CAGY operations on the west end of the line? This would be worth pursuing if they do run the right way for the light since the orange plague has yet to strike this end of the line.
I know its alot of info to ask about, but I definetly would appreciate anyone's input.

ShortlinesUSA
11-17-2011, 01:25 AM
You can pretty much find the CAGY on the east end working the large Severstal steel mill at Bent Oak, which is right by the Columbus Airport on the southwestern side of town. Possibly you may catch them running between there and the yard in downtown, but most likely they'll be working around the plant.

To the best of my knowledge, it's not all that common to see the ABS in daylight in Columbus. They seem to run a day crew from Tuscaloosa to Reform, AL and get the train staged up there for a night turn to Columbus/Artesia. This was pre-bridge failure, so I don't know if that has changed anything. No idea on the AGR.

On the west end of the CAGY, Job 48 leaves Greenwood for Greenville around 10-11 am M-F.

Be warned, the CAGY managers are fully onboard with G&W's corporate "no visitors/info" policy. Even though many of the shortlines in the South are laid back and friendly, it's best to observe this one from public property, and don't expect any office or management people to be forthcoming with info. The crews I came across were all friendly.

ShortlinesUSA
11-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry, missed the GTRA. They typically hit the KCS line right around 9-10 am weekdays for the run into Columbus, and are heading back to the mill by midday.

nikos1
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mike, I had heard similar things about the CAGY, that type of mindset hasnt quite gotten to all of G&W's recent acquisitions but its getting there. On GC most of the people are friendly but there was one guy that we met with that sort of mindset.
Unfortunately the weather seems to have gone to the toilet so the trip will have to be postponed, spring would be better anyways, hard to do much at all with these short days.
For future reference for anyone else that is interested, AGR Runs two daily trains through Columbus, #110 between Aliceville, AL and Columbus and back, and 210 that runs from Amory, MS to Aliceville, AL. Anyone interested in AGR should check out this great site.
http://www.freewebs.com/randycarnley/agrhistory.htm

Columbus still high on the list, want to get some shots before another great southern shortline is fully assimilated into the borg.

ShortlinesUSA
11-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Columbus area can certainly be a busy place. CAGY, AGR, ABS, GTRA, and KCS all within about a 10 mile radius. Unfortunately, every time I'm there, it's more of a "just passing through" type event.

Here is a shot of CAGY Job 46 working the Severstal Steel mil. Sure would be nice if the center section was still in place, but with every passing year it's out of service, the less likely it will ever see service again.