PDA

View Full Version : Lens suggestions?

emfinite
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

I have a Canon 300D and I am looking to upgrade past the kit (18-55mm) lens. I have been heavily researching the Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 and I am basically sold on it because of the price (f/2.8 is out of my price range) and image quality. Can anyone make any other suggestions for glass that is similar in quality to the 70-200mm f/4.0 and that you would suggest testing out before purchasing the said lens? I have tried the Tamron 28-200mm lens, but I see a LOT of ghosting at 200mm even with tripod. I think it is a problem with the AF because once I flip it to MF and focus in, the pictures are sharp as day. Regardless, I am dissatisfied with the Tamron, but I would be all for testing out a Sigma lens (although I trust Canon through and through). Any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks!
Joe

railfanzone
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Joe-

If you can afford the 70-200mm f/4L, get it! I use that lens as my standard lens - contrast is incredible, color fidelity is great, and it's tack sharp. Gave me some great shots on slides, and some downright incredible shots with my 20D. Don't mess around with the Tamron or Sigmas - they'd be a waste of time & money if you can afford to get the f/4L. They're good on a tight budget, but if you've got the $600 for the L, jump at it.

Pretty much all of my shots on RP.net from April '04 on were taken with this lens, and all of the digitals up here were with the L also. Link to my shots is below...

-Tom

Joe the Photog
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I was looking at the Canon 70 to 200 f4 myself mainly because at the time I only had the kit lens with the 300D. Then my friend gave me a Sigma 55 to 200 that worked well. It wasn't exactly an "L" and so I figured I'd still go with the Canon when I got the money.

But then I realized something. In the time I had the Rebel and only the kit lens, I had to work harder for the good shots. When I had a zoom lens -- my previous zoom lens died on me from overwork -- all I had to do was pull off the road and shoot. I could zoom in, I didn't have to try.

So I began looking the other way, at least in zom factors. I ended up going with the Canon Super Wide 10 to 22mm and I love the heck out of that thing. It's crisp, sharp and throws the perspective off a lot if you want it to or a little. I could not be happier with it.

I'll still get the "L" when I get a chance, but it'll never take the place of the wide angle.

Joe H.

emfinite
03-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Tom,

Like I said, I have fooled around with my buddy's Tamron 28-200mm and it did not impress me. Very soft images and lots of ghosting on my 300D. Will I experience any of this with the Canon 70-200mm f/4? Is there that huge of a difference between the f/2.8 and the f/4.0? I am basically sold on this lens, it's just a matter of getting opinions from experienced Railpictures.net (and of course Railpace) contributors. I love your feature article on NECR in the March '05 Railpace! I have two shots on page 10 of the same issue, the top one was shot with the afforementioned Tamron. Unfortunately, it did not come out too sharp. If possible, could you email me about something else, offline? My address is: emfinite@optonline.net.

Many, MANY thanks!
Joe

dsktc
03-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Joe, the 70-200mm f4 is a very good lens. You
won't be disappointed if you buy it. The advantage
of the f2.8, which I have, is in low light situations,
which is usually not an issue railfanning as it is for
birding.

Here are some reviews of the lens:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=14&sort=7&cat=27&page=2

Dave

Tom,

Like I said, I have fooled around with my buddy's Tamron 28-200mm and it did not impress me. Very soft images and lots of ghosting on my 300D. Will I experience any of this with the Canon 70-200mm f/4? Is there that huge of a difference between the f/2.8 and the f/4.0? I am basically sold on this lens, it's just a matter of getting opinions from experienced Railpictures.net (and of course Railpace) contributors. I love your feature article on NECR in the March '05 Railpace! I have two shots on page 10 of the same issue, the top one was shot with the afforementioned Tamron. Unfortunately, it did not come out too sharp. If possible, could you email me about something else, offline? My address is: emfinite@optonline.net.

Many, MANY thanks!
Joe

brunswickrailfan
03-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Because of the quality of the F/4 version, I am setting my sights on the 300mm F/4L for my next big purchase as I really miss the 300mm I had with that PoS 75-300.

Wade H. Massie
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
There's one other option for a super sharp lens, Canon's 200 f2.8L. Obviously, it's not a zoom, but it's an amazing lens. I've had one since 1992 and it's worked flawlessly for thousands of train photos. It's also the sharpest lens I own, here's a sample photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=81486

Another nice feature of this lens is the ability to use it with Canon's 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.

-Wade