PDA

View Full Version : A&K plans to scrap Towner line in eastern CO

ShortlinesUSA
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Further evidence this company has no interest in running trains. What I find even harder to believe is the state is surprised at this outcome.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/owner-plans-to-scrap-towner-line/article_c9199346-2162-11e1-bd1f-001871e3ce6c.html

This is the west end of the ex Missouri Pacific mainline which once stretched from south of Kansas City to Pueblo, Colorado that was sold after the UP merger. Watco's Kansas & Oklahoma operates a significant portion of the eastern end of the line.

nikos1
12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I read that WATCO also bid on the line but was outbid by A&K. A&K may have had the higher bid but anyone with common sense should have realized that selling it to WATCO wouldve been a better deal, especially with them operating the other end of the line. Or why sell it at all, and just lease it like the state of Georgia does with its lines to maintain control.

ShortlinesUSA
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
They only saw the dollar signs, either out of necessity in the state budget, or a requirement by state law (verbiage to the effect of "must be sold to the highest bidder"). I did get a chuckle out of the state getting an assurance from A&K they intended to continue running trains, only to have them file the papers the day after the purchase. The more and more A&K keeps this up, you'd think their reputation would precede them with agencies truly interested in maintaining rail service.