PDA

View Full Version : RailAmerica power doings

ShortlinesUSA
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Lots going on right now on several RailAmerica properties. The FEC power RA scattered to the wind after assuming ownership of the FEC has mostly been purchased. I say "mostly" because a few of the SD40-2s apparently will return to the FEC, which is no longer affiliated with RailAmerica.

The GP38-2s, GP40-2s, plus a couple of SD40-2s will remain where they are and be relettered for those properties. New England Central has already relettered SD40-2 722. The Missouri & North Arkansas has relettered their GP38-2s, as well.

Some older power may be retired in the near future, as more power changes occur in the RailAmerica system. RA has new regional CMOs who are shaking things up in the power department, and there is potentially a shift away from older and leased power on the horizon. We'll see how this develops on that front, but the FEC power buy is a done deal.

Joe the Photog
12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
How is FEC no longer affiliated with RA?

ShortlinesUSA
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
RailAmerica and FEC were both owned by Fortress Investment Group, but the companies never merged their operations. It did appear to be headed that way, with the RailAmerica scheme added to the FEC SD70Ms and surplus FEC power sent to other RailAmerica properties, but Fortress sold a large stake in RailAmerica (around 45%) in 2009 through an initial public offering of stock.

Fortress still owns FEC outright, and a stake in RailAmerica. FEC successfully instituted a "divorce" from any RailAmerica influence in 2010, coincident with the appointment of James Hertwig as FEC's new CEO. He is the one responsible for the resurgent independence and company pride, and for getting the classic red and yellow scheme on SD40-2 714. Future repaints may be getting this scheme, as well.

Joe the Photog
12-14-2011, 08:42 PM
That cool news, I had not heard this.

troy12n
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I wish FEC would repaint those last 4 SD70M-2's which got that ugly RA paint scheme...

I was never very hot on the ARR inspired paint scheme the first 4 got, but it's worlds better than the RA paint...

trainmaster_1
12-15-2011, 01:04 AM
I wish FEC would repaint those last 4 SD70M-2's which got that ugly RA paint scheme...

I was never very hot on the ARR inspired paint scheme the first 4 got, but it's worlds better than the RA paint...

I'd like to see them repainted into that heritage paint scheme 714 got.

Freericks
12-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Hope things settle down here in California, where the Rail America properties are a smorgasboard of ugly (mishmash of paint schemes - lots of grafitti in the case of the SJVR).

troy12n
12-15-2011, 02:20 AM
I'd like to see them repainted into that heritage paint scheme 714 got.

That would work. Kind of doubt it though, considering they just finished repainting all the GP40's and GP38's in the kind of boring, but at least clean new blue paint scheme.

nikos1
12-15-2011, 03:48 AM
A 70M-2 in red and yellow would look so awesome, I always thought it was a huge mistake for them to paint the units in the Alaska scheme instead.
I do hope though in the meantime that they put the hurricane logo on the FailAmerica M-2's (unless that logo is now obsolete too?) the noses look a little empty without a logo, the same way the BN Execs do since BNSF messed them up.

Oh and too bad the speedway unit is now on the AGR permanently, that was my favorite of the blue paint schemes.