PDA

View Full Version : FEC Weekend Ops?

Joe the Photog
12-21-2011, 04:55 PM
There is a chance we might head to Jacksonville on the first full weekend after NYE and I was wondering what I might find on the FEC around there running. Five years ago, we caught a GP40-2 across the St. John's River and that was it. Any good advice? I'd love to see the 714.

Also any good advice on Jacksonville as a whole, esp. around downtown with the NS and CSX.

troy12n
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Bob Pickering would be the person to ask about specifics, he lives out that way. My experience in railfanning FEC is they have a couple Southbounds out of FEC's Bowden yard all leave before sunrise and the Northbounds arrive late afternoon or evening. Transfer freights from CSX Moncrief Yard and NS Simpson yard to FEC's Bowden yard happen at random, I dont think there is any set time.

I have never been very lucky getting actual freights on FEC's actual line, you can get transfer freights from / to CSX and NS.

nikos1
12-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Just go down to St. Augustine at sunrise and you will get 226, maybe 224 if its late. On Sunday 224 is combined with 226 I believe. The only place to shoot them this time of year is the bridge in St. Augustine, hence the amount of shots from that location. In the afternoon there is a southbound 101 usually about 2 PM. If its running 107 will be not far behind. As far as the drawbridge goes its just a set up and wait and see what comes, it was very busy when I visited, didnt see any FEC power but a couple of NS and CSX stack trains. If you cant get to St. Augustine, you can get some shots of whatever FEC power is around at Bowden, FEC is actually very railfan friendly now and lets you watch from the parking lot.