PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings Around Danville

cmherndon
03-10-2005, 01:27 PM
We always have better luck here...

Sunday, Emmett and I found ourselves out yet again on a cloudless day with some warmer temperatures. We caught several good trains despite the light traffic volume, and were out for close to 10 hours. Here are some of the highlights from the trip.

The first train we see is 223, heading past Nevin Station just after 0800. NS 6700 was leading this train, and it's the last SD60 delivered to NS.

[photoid=97013]

We get to Danville, and then head towards the wye to shoot I87 which also has some good power. NS 2581 leads this train, and it's the first SD70M delivered to NS.

[photoid=97015]

After catching that 223 again, we headed back up towards the wye again, but not before finding these UPS "package cars" (yes, that's the actual term for it) chained up like bicycles at the Wal-Mart.

http://www.cmherndon.com/outtakes/chainedups

215 is the next train we see, being led by an SD60. It was its usual long self...

[photoid=97016]

177 is close behind, but the battery died literally one second before I was going to take the picture. No problem though, Emmett let me borrow his for a shot of 175, seen crossing over from #1 to #2 in the next photo.

[photoid=97017]

After 375 (the train sitting on #2 in the previous photos) leaves, we figure that it's all she wrote for traffic, until we receive word that that 168 is heading west with a pair of BNSF locomotives, one in Heritage I and the other in Warbonnet. I stopped by the house to get the other camera, and we caught this train at Harrodsburg and then again at Waddy. The photo below shows them pulling past the firehouse/playground/horse show arena.

[photoid=97018]

That was the last shot of the day, and I almost got screwed by a cloud on it. With the light fading quickly, we head on back to the house and now wait for another day of nice weather. Until next time...

Hope y'all enjoy and thanks for looking!

NicTrain35
03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Great shots Caleb! :)

dodi4200
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
caleb i should admit that u r the best of the best of writing and making trip reports
nice shots u makes me feel that im railfaing with u in the same time :)
mohamed