PDA

View Full Version : GMTX related to General Motors?

adickson
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Cruising through the database I ran across a few images citing GMTX as "General Motors". I had never heard of such a thing so I went looking. Googled "GMTX acronym" got nothing. I have run a GMTX numbered switcher and I remember the blue card showing ownership to GATX as wall as GATX painted down the side like this (http://www.gatx.com/wps/wcm/connect/GATX/GATX_SITE/Home/Rail/Rail+North+America/Products/Equipment+Types/Locomotives/SW1200/).

While looking on GATX's website and found the locomotives in question but nothing citing affiliation to General Motors. Tried to figure out what GATX stood for... no one knows. One site guessed but it was a horrible guess.

I thought General Motors used EMDX, do they have GMTX and GATX as well? Or is GMTX just the locomotive side of GATX...I mean OMG ROTFLMBO..haha!

Joe the Photog
01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
The GMTX units used to be LLPX, too. The GMTX listing is a bit confusing in the database. Until the ex-Oakways, all the GMTX units I shot were on the L&C, so I just listed the railroad as Lancaster and Chester, adding more confusion, I'm sure.

ShortlinesUSA
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
GATX and EMD were involved in a partnership called Locomotive Leasing Partners, which began in 1995. This brought us the familiar LLPX reporting marks. Each of the partners seemed to also have some of their invidual lease units, with GATX units as GSCX and some EMDs as EMDX. All this came to an end in 2004, when GATX bought out EMD's 50 percent share of LLP. The initials may be pure coincidence, as GATX uses a series of initials beginning with G and ending with X. Tank cars are typically GATX, for example. GATX seems to have standardized on GMTX for its locomotive fleet. But there is no longer any involvement with EMD, which was formerly a division of General Motors.

Confused more? LOL

JimThias
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I always wondered what the GATX and GMTX stood for. Both are on the side of this locomotive (which I'm sure is pretty common amongst their fleet):

[photoid=216069]

Joe the Photog
01-12-2012, 06:30 PM
For some reason, the three GMTX units that stayed on the L&C longest all are unadorned on the long hood --

[photoid=189648]

Except for the 2624 wich was the first one sent back when the first KLWX power came --

[photoid=311245]

View whoring.

Freericks
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
GATX was General American Transportation Company, but much like CSX, CBS, BNSF, andothrs, the initials are now the company's full name.

nikos1
01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
So why did General motors sell half the Oakway SD60's to GATX? Or did those still belong to EMD? :confused:

ShortlinesUSA
01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Nikos,

I'm not sure many within the railfan community can provide a solid answer to your question, even hardcore roster followers. When BNSF returned approximately half of the 100 Oakway SD60s from lease, they were put in storage, most in Albia, IA. As they began to leave storage for lease, they were lettered for GMTX. To the best of my knowledge, the remaining group in use on BNSF is still EMDX. I'm not sure how this relates to the LLP partnership, if at all. EMD may have simply decided they were getting out of the leasing business, and as the Oakways were returned from lease, they in turn sold them to GATX to avoid the work of trying to place them with new lessors.

If anyone can provide a better answer, please do. But from the info I've seen on these units since they left BNSF, the situation can best be summed up by the phrase "It's complicated."

jnohallman
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
GATX actually started out at the beginning of the 20th Century as the German-American Car Company. The name was changed to General American in 1916 - you can imagine why.

Jon