PDA

View Full Version : Nashville and Eastern Ops

cassfan3
01-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Can anyone fill me in on the regular schedule (if there is one) that the Nashville and Eastern keeps? About all I know is that the home base is in Lebanon. I'm going to be in Nashville for an interview this week and if I get a few spare minutes with decent weather I'll check them out.

Thanks!

Mr. Pick
01-16-2012, 01:11 AM
My office is less than a mile as the crow flies from the NERR line in Nashville, but if there is a pattern to their operations between Nashville and Lebanon, I haven't figured it out yet. They do a fair amount of switching at the Nashville yard they maintain, which is pretty much right next door to the Tennessee Central Railroad museum. You can often catch their power tied down there as well.

That's not much help, but maybe a star.

Mr. Pick
01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
This is probably too late to help you, but:

Been paying a little closer attention to what's going on over there on the N&E line here in Nashville. Seems like there is activity mid day on Wed and Fri. Caught a westbound at 11:45am Wednesday, which was the second time I've seen a west bound on Wed about that time, and today (Friday) they made up a train here at the Nashville yard and headed east about 1pm.

ShortlinesUSA
01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the observations, Mr. Pick! They are likely running in this time slot to be in and out of Nashville from Lebanon between the morning and evening Music City Star commuter trains. Good to hear it's a daylight move, rather than the alternative night time schedule.

Mr. Pick
01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the observations, Mr. Pick! They are likely running in this time slot to be in and out of Nashville from Lebanon between the morning and evening Music City Star commuter trains. Good to hear it's a daylight move, rather than the alternative night time schedule.

Since my office is only a mile from the Nashville yard, I'll try and start logging what they are doing and see if I can get a pattern. I have yet to shoot any pics of them, but there are some pretty good looking locations along their line I hope to try out.

For anyone planning to come watch them, their road frequency is 160.365, and they are fun to listen to.

Joe the Photog
01-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I'd love to get over there myself someday soon!

Mr. Pick
01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
I'd love to get over there myself someday soon!

Holler when you do...

ShortlinesUSA
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Do they still broadcast over a repeater, Mr. Pick? When I was there I went to Lebanon to see what was going on for the day. He told me the only thing working was in Carthage. I got back in the car and heard the train talking like it was right in Lebanon. I felt like an idiot doing it, but I had to walk back in and make sure I heard the guy correctly. I had, and I could hear the train talking the whole way driving from Lebanon to Carthage, even the conductor giving car counts as they switched.

Mr. Pick
01-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Do they still broadcast over a repeater, Mr. Pick? When I was there I went to Lebanon to see what was going on for the day. He told me the only thing working was in Carthage. I got back in the car and heard the train talking like it was right in Lebanon. I felt like an idiot doing it, but I had to walk back in and make sure I heard the guy correctly. I had, and I could hear the train talking the whole way driving from Lebanon to Carthage, even the conductor giving car counts as they switched.

I don't know for sure Mike. When I've listened in at my office, which is at the Nashville end, all I've heard has been the local chatter here in Nashville. I'll listen in a little more and see what I can learn.

cassfan3
01-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Mr. Pick, Thanks for the info! Unfortunately during my visit a combination of weather and a tight schedule prevented me from shooting too much though I did see some interesting equipment hanging out in the yards. It looks like it would be a great line to shoot!

gradymck
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
The N&E does still use the repeater system. You can pick them up almost all the way to Crab Orchard, TN along I-40. You can also pick up the Star trains calling signals moving WB and EB between Lebanon and Riverfront.

Grady