PDA

View Full Version : SD60s coming to the NYSW

ShortlinesUSA
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
This news has been batted out through several rumors in the past couple of months, but is now firm enough to report. The Susie Q will receive 6 SD60s on long term lease from GATX, and they will be painted prior to delivery. The units are from the former Oakway Leasing fleet, and work will be performed at VMV in Paducah, KY. Delivery should begin in the spring and all on property by June.

Looks like an exciting summer on the NYSW, and the appropriate time of year to catch the SU-99 heading west from Little Ferry in the sweet light.

troy12n
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
"getting" in that they are buying them? Or leasing them from GATX in NYSW paint?

What the hell do they even run now that they need SD60's? I think they could get by with a single GP38 for the little freight they move nowadays. What happened to the SD70M's they supposedly got back from leasing to IORY (supposedly beaten to hell/not running)?

nikos1
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM
From all the pics I have seen as of late it seems that getting a yellowjacket is pretty hard now, everything running with CITX leasers. I'm guessing these will be painted in the GATX style paint like the ex-Oakways on lease to P&W.

ShortlinesUSA
01-20-2012, 03:38 AM
Troy, did you miss that "long term lease" part in my original post? :-P The SD60s will likely be used on the SU99/100 road trains between Little Ferry, NJ and Binghamton, NY. I'll admit I don't know tonnage and grades on the line, but those trains have routinely used 3-4 six axles over the years. Either way, it'll be nice to see the NYSW return to looking like its own railroad, rather than CIT leasers and leased CSX and NS units. The SD70Ms are stored, awaiting a decision on their fate. There is a good chance they won't return to service on the NYSW.

Nikos-- NYSW paint, not GATX.

nikos1
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Nikos-- NYSW paint, not GATX.

Good to hear!

ssw9662
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Not to drag this one up, but here's some relevant info on the SD60s.

3810 was delivered in May and has been running on the NYSW for the past month.

3808 was delivered about a week ago, apparently it led SU-100 last night.

3800 arrived on the NYSW at Syracuse yesterday on BH-2, sitting in Binghamton now.

These three are the only ones on the property at the moment.

ShortlinesUSA
06-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Drag up old topics any time...up to date info is always appreciated!

Freericks
06-21-2012, 02:50 AM
For anyone curious about how Susquehanna numbering works, units that can MU must have even numbers. First two numbers are the locomotive's horsepower.