PDA

View Full Version : Deaths at Rail Crossings Increase in 2004

dsktc
03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
From today's New York Times:

"Deaths at railroad grade crossings rose 11 percent last year, according to new federal figures, and the government failed to meet its 10-year goal of no more than 300 crossing deaths by 2004.

"Crossing deaths had been falling steadily in recent years. But last year, 369 people died at rail crossings, with three of the four major freight railroads reporting a rise in deaths, federal figures show. Norfolk Southern registered a 50 percent increase, the most of any major railroad, with 60 deaths. More people, 77, died at crossings owned by Union Pacific, the nation's largest railroad."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/national/13RAIL.html?pagewanted=print&position=

Dave

Ru1056
03-13-2005, 09:30 PM
You have to register to read the story. Not something I want to do with this publication :roll: I don't think you can contribute this to the RR's just those that do stupid things like trying to beat trains.

Billy

mojo628
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Try www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com) for generic passwords to newspaper sites.

cmherndon
03-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Biased media. :roll:

They fail to mention the number of drivers who disregard crossing signals and drive around the gates. I don't know about other states, but in Kentucky, if you drive around the gates, you will get a citation if the police see you. I've seen them do it several times.

E.M. Bell
03-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Thats the usual biased media outlook and just about anything dealing with rail trasport. For the most part, if "accidents' (and I use the word loosely) are on the increase, it just means more stupid people behind the wheel.

Thats just my biased opinion, from someone who has been through a few grade crossing "accidents" from the right hand seat of a Locomotive...

Ken Carr
03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Here in Las Vegas there are four crossings and more than ten over or under passes covering roughly18 miles of track. But just since January I have witnessed or heard over the scanner 17 vehicles alone stuck on the tracks where no crosssing exist. not counting the number of trespassing arrests or citations are way up this year over 100 since January all along the UP main line here. It's not the railroad but the people.

Pat Lorenz
03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I agree, its not the railroads being unsafe its the people not being safe around railroads. Down in Tucson i have heard of 3 cases this year of suicides, like bum's in front of the train. Its just bad people.

J
03-15-2005, 09:42 PM
WALT BOGDANICH, the author of that NYT article, has been hammering the industry for the past 6 months or so. One of his articles implied that Operation Lifesaver, an educational forum, was the railroad industry's effort to evade their responsibilities for public safety. Rather than installing automatic warning devices, he suggests the industry puts out propaganda implying the accidents are caused by inattentive motorists. (of course there are tens of thounsands of crossings with cross bucks and the entire capitalization of the industry would have to be devoted to such a project for years - no new rail, locomotives, etc.) Add the fact that many fatalities occur at crossings equipped with flashers and gates and it is far more effective to educate the public

This slanted point of view may have come from a trial attorney. Bogdanich would be as justified attacking the Girl Scouts. But that's just my opinion.