PDA

View Full Version : slide scanner recommendations?

benrussellpa
12-26-2002, 01:38 AM
I was curious what people are using to scan slides. I have never looked at slide scanners, nor do I have any kind of image scanner at this time (for prints or anything else).

I'm interested to know what models people have found easy to use and/or models that give good results.

Ben Russell
Norristown, PA

pullin4u
12-26-2002, 03:05 AM
Ben,
I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual for scanning slides, it works rather nicely. It isn't the fastest horse in the race, but I estimate that the time it takes for me to scan one slide (including previewing) to be around a minute or so. Mine is kind of old (3 years), not sure if they still make this model or have released an improved version. It was about $400 when I bought mine, IIRC.

Merry Christmas, hope this helped.

-George Widener nod.gif

Chris Starnes
12-26-2002, 04:58 AM
Ben,

I have a Canon CanoScan FS2710. It is a 2700dpi scanner and does a really good job. It lists for about $299 but I picked mine up used for $150 and it works perfect.

I have also heard good things about the Minolta Dimage series scanners as well!

Chris

Stan Jackowski
12-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Ben,
I also use the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II. It does great work and cost around $430.00 a year ago. It will do a prescan in 10 sec, scan in 60 sec and index scan in 10 sec/frame.
Minolta makes a faster model but was about $100.00 more. The only draw back I see is it is a little noisy when scanning. It will scan slides, neg 35mm and APS.
acltrainman

jcthomp
01-01-2003, 02:38 AM
I have just gotten a HP ScanJet 7400c. Still getting to "know it"! It does a good job of scanning, and the software allows you to do some enhancement.

Bryan Jones
01-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I myself use a Minolta DiMage Scan Elite II slide/negative scanner. This particular model features the Digital Ice 3 feature that allows dust/scratch removal and automatic color restoration for faded slides as well as the ability to automatically reduce film grain. It can scan at up to 2820 dpi which will allow for fine enlargements should you choose to print your work. The price is in the $700-800 range and is worth every cent I've scanned atleast a thousand slides since I got mine back in July and cease to be amazed at the scan quality. The Digital ICE alone saves hours of time in Photoshop trying to remove dust and such. I wouldn't buy a new scanner unless it has the Digital ICE feature. Minolta does offer several other slide scanners and even a medium format capable scanner. If you go to the Minolta website (www.minolta.com) you can review the entire line of scanner models currently availble. Canon and Nikon also offer top notch scanners and you can find their info on their respective websites.
A final note, stay away from flatbed scanners with transparency adapters. The quality of the scans is quite lacking and you will ultimately find yourself very disappointed with the results, especially if you choose to print. Even the cheapest dedicated slide/negative scanner will outperform the best available flatbeds.

Bryan Jones

NikonF5
01-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Hey...

Be sure to look at the scanners from Nikon...they are also superb scanners, and offer programs such as DigitalIce or DigitalRoc......

Cheers,

Photorail
08-07-2003, 09:41 AM
x Chris Starnes:

i have the same your scanner (CanonScan). I've found a problem scanning slides a bit darker or with high contrast in colors. The scanner read these kind of images in a very poor way, giving obscure results that even with Photoshop adjustments remain poor. How you set your scanner or Photoshop in these cases???

Thanks,
Stefano

Chris Starnes
08-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Photorail:

I have also had this problem, especially with Kodachrome slides. I normally just scan it lighter than the other slides and do the rest of the color correction in photoshop.

CTS