PDA

View Full Version : Yreka Western Railroad for Sale

jnohallman
02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
From the TRAINS News Wire:

YREKA, Calif. A Northern California real estate company listed the Yreka Western Railroad for sale today. The 9-mile Yreka-Montague, Calif., route, has been mothballed for several years.

Still on the property is Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19, which operated in tourist service on the line until it was shut down in 2009.

The depot and the shop building are listed at $729,000, while No. 19 is listed at $900,000. Four miles of track are available for sale at $600,000. The realtor listing the property indicates that all of the cars and remaining track would also be available for purchase, but did not currently have a listing price for the remaining assets.

Yreka Western has been embroiled in litigation over the past several years involving its owner, the Rocky Mountain Mining and Railway Museum, and its principal, Court Hammond. It also suffered lost freight revenue when connecting railroad Central Oregon ceased service over the Siskiyous in 2008.

Jon

KevinM
02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Still on the property is Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19, which operated in tourist service on the line until it was shut down in 2009.

I know that the Nevada Commission to Reconstruct the V&T briefly considered acquiring this engine. Apparently, it is nearly identical to the former McCloud Railway #18, which the commission already owns. They apparently decided to pass on it, due to other expenses, the asking price and their belief that it needed some significant work. Contributing factors were a lack of indoor storage space at the current V&T Shops, where 2 engines, including the Gray Family-owned 29 and the Commission-owned 18 are already being quartered.

Sad to see a steam operation like the Yreka possibly be parted out. I never had a chance to go out there and see it. :(

jnohallman
02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Maybe we could get some forum participants to kick in and buy it! :lol: I've never been there either, but it certainly does seem a shame.

Jon

KevinM
02-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Maybe we could get some forum participants to kick in and buy it! :lol: I've never been there either, but it certainly does seem a shame.

Jon

All we need is about a half million to buy it...and perhaps about that much again to get it into good working order. I believe that's what the V&T Commission concluded. At least THEY have a place to run it. Was out there last week....my second time. What a beautiful railroad. More pix to come as I get time to process them.

jnohallman
02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I was thinking to buy the whole shebang, not just the loco . . . :D

Jon