PDA

View Full Version : Uploading photos

Linevillerailfan
03-22-2005, 05:47 AM
I need help in up loading photos. I've tried going from my CF card and the cd where I down loaded the photos, but to no avail. I'm shooting a Caono D20 with the largest file which is 8mb. Do I need to make the file smaller or what. Help on this would be outstanding!!
Thanks
gb

E.M. Bell
03-22-2005, 07:48 AM
A full sized 8MB image straight from your camera is much to big. While our database may be able to handle a file that size ( I am not sure what the cuttoff is), there is no need to upload anything that large. For our users on dialup, it would take forever to view.

Your camera should have came with some form of editing software that will allow you to crop and size the image. You can also find a copy of Photoshop (or PS elements) or other imaging software and use that. As a general rule of thumb, I try size my pics around 950 pixels wide, with the resolution set at 72dpi. that gives you a nice large image to view, and keeps the file size down to a minumum. 950 is just a starting point, as it is sometimes hard to get the size exactly right after you crop and rotate (if needed), but that should give you some idea of what to try. Just remember that the minumum acceptable size for RP is 800 x 600.

That is what I try to do, but everyone has different methods. Im sure others will chime in with suggestions!!