PDA

View Full Version : Sunday on the Second District

cmherndon
03-24-2005, 03:19 AM
This past Sunday, Emmett and I headed out in my efficient, low power vehicle with a slipping clutch that has 305K miles, looks like hell, runs like a champ, seats five, or two adults and a backseat full of camera gear and headed south on the Second District. It took a while for the weather to clear up nicely, but some sucker holes allowed us to get some early shots.

After catching 133 at Kings Mountain, we headed south for a suitable location to catch 223, which was running with an SD70M leading. We decided that Norwood was a suitable location. I almost got screwed by the clouds with my shot, but a sucker hole opened up and allowed me to shoot this train.

[photoid=98794]

133's stopped ahead of them at Woods, so we manage to get ahead of this train again, only temporarily though as we watch it pass us while waiting at a traffic light in Somerset. 197's not too far behind, so we decide to shoot it at CP Woods after it meets a few northbounds. After an exploration of Somerset (or just being lost, but it wasn't that becuase real railfans are never lost) we headed back north again.

At Gradison, we stop for a shot of 123 powering through the dips.

[photoid=98795]

This turned out to be a happening place for about 20 minutes as we saw 123, 143, 144, and 174. I also managed the following shot of Emmett setting up the "Bad Boy" for his shot of 123.

http://www.cmherndon.com/outtakes/embsetup/

At Waynesburg, we catch 215 and 230 meeting, and back at Kings Mountain, we see 920 and 56A. Thanks to GE, the cameras were not used at Kings Moutain for the second time.

At Moreland, we caught a few more, but they were spoiled by catfish. Finally, we ride up to the wye to see what 375 has for power since we heard the tower talking to a crew van, saying the crew was on duty at 1700 or so. 375 had a brand new SD70M leading, and it was even still in primer. A rare catch it was. A little visitor walked into my shot of this train...

[photoid=98796]

The train leaves about 30 minutes later and we get our last shots of the day at Shuttleworth. NS has really cleared this area out, and it looks like it'll open up a few more photo ops for westbounds.

http://www.cmherndon.com/nsphotos/ns375ns2628shuttleworth032005/

So ends the trip from Sunday. A few weeks ago, we also set out on what was supposed to be a sunny day, but the clouds rolled in quickly. The following is my only shot from that trip. 229 being led by an SD50.

[photoid=98793]

Now for an off topic part. Hey, It's March, and I find this suitable for the time of year...

This past Friday and Saturday, I went to the KHSAA (Kentucky High School Athletics Association) Sweet 16 Baskeball Tournament. For those who don't live in Kentucky or don't know what it is, the Sweet 16 is the state tournament where the winners from all 16 regions in the state compete for the state championship (outright champion, no classes here). I didn't take my camera on Friday, but did on Saturday for the championship game between South Laurel HS (London, KY) and Warren Central HS (Bowling Green, KY).

You can view the photos at http://www.cmherndon.com/nonrail/2005sweet16

Hope y'all enjoy and thanks for looking!

Ru1056
03-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Hope you had a good time exploring Somerset. There is a little two lane bridge that isnt even big enough for a semi to fit under that is set to be demolished. It is just north of the 2nd district headquarters. I cannot remember what this street is called. But it would probably provide a good location to shoot from. (IMHO).

Indiana has this class highschool basketball. That means no more Milans (the team the movie Hoosiers was based on) or Crispus Attucks. They hand out 5 state championships. :roll:

Billy

cmherndon
03-25-2005, 02:03 AM
From what I can tell, they're working on a bridge that will actually be over the entire yard. I think the one you mentioned might already be gone since the road leading up to the old KY Division offices is closed (how 223 got ahead of us and how we ended up driving around Somerset for a while). It looks like there will be some photographic possibilities once the new one is finished.

That means no more Milans (the team the movie Hoosiers was based on)

An EXCELLENT film that was.

My dad was telling me about the class system (and how he didn't like it) when he was exiled to life near "The General" for a year. :-D

golden_spike
03-25-2005, 02:24 AM
At Moreland, we caught a few more, but they were spoiled by catfish.

sorry to be ignorant, but what does this mean? :confused: does it have something to do with GEs? i just checked out the "evolution of a GE" on your site, lol

ok, now that i educated myself with your railfan dictionary i know what a catfish is.

"Catfish - Norfolk Southern wide cab Dash 9 (C40-9W)"

this post has been like the evolultion of my railraod knowledge.

whered the name come from?

Ween
03-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Catfish:

My guess, and it's only a guess:

Because it has a big fat head with the white paint stripes acting as the whiskers.

Did I get it?

cmherndon
03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Catfish:

My guess, and it's only a guess:

Because it has a big fat head with the white paint stripes acting as the whiskers.

Did I get it?

I guess that's probably it. I don't know who started calling them that, but the name's stuck.