PDA

View Full Version : Comments on this

Ween
03-26-2005, 04:51 AM
I usually don't ask for comments and whatnot here, but I'm just curious as to what everyone's opinions are on this photo. At first, it was rejected for 'Bad Angle.' On appeal is was rejected for "Little bit too much space to the left of the train." The intent of the shot was to get the engines with the rest of the train visible on both the right and left sides of the frame as this train is coming around a sweeping curve. Here's the photo, read the caption:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=107518

Just for grins, here's another shot of the train that was rejected for 'Bad Cropping:'

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=107511

So what do you guys think? Are they good 'as is?' Or, if I were to crop a little on the left of either/both, do you think they would stand a chance?

I tried to go the 'artistic' route with this curve, and it's looking like I struck out. Comments?

StL-rail
03-26-2005, 04:56 AM
It looks fine to me, although, take it from the master of artsy fartsy, you probably would have gotten a better effect had you been standing at a higher elevation.

Ween
03-26-2005, 04:58 AM
Higher elevation?!? Son, I'm in eastern ND/western MN for God's sake!!!!! The highest elevation in these parts is the interstate overpass!!!! Ha!

ccaranna
03-26-2005, 05:05 AM
I agree with the intent, but to me, the subject has a slight lean to the left and doesn't look "square". I agree with the higher elevation post, but it sounds like that might not be possible here.

Chuck

<A HREF="http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=5402">Click Here</A> to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Ween
03-26-2005, 05:24 AM
the subject has a slight lean to the left and doesn't look "square".

You are absolutely right! I missed that, so I've leveled and cropped tighter to the left and it's now in queue. We'll see how that goes.

I guess with this shot I was blinded by the fact that I actually found a curve in the tracks! No lie, the lines into and out of Grand Forks run due north, due south, and due west straight and level for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and then a fuel stop and then a bunch more miles. The Grand Forks sub to the east does have some curvature here and there, but nothing like this huge sweeper in western MN!

Fingers crossed for the re-upload...

SD70MAC
03-26-2005, 05:32 AM
Higher elevation?!? Son, I'm in eastern ND/western MN for God's sake!!!!! The highest elevation in these parts is the interstate overpass!!!! Ha!

LMAO :lol: Just bring a ladder out railfanning with you next time! Good shot anyways.

Ween
03-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Just bring a ladder out railfanning with you next time!

As if it's not wierd enough seeing some dude taking pictures of trains, what would they think of some fool on top of a ladder, out in the snow, taking pictures of trains?!? I'd be thrown in the looney bin! I'm afraid I haven't mastered the art of getting out of a straight jacket yet, but when I do, then I think I'll bust out the ladder for some of my shots! Until then, it's either flat-footing it or out of the cockpit window!

SD70MAC
03-26-2005, 05:41 AM
:lol: Just make a sign explaining what your doing out there on the ladder, put it on a stake and hammer it into the ground! Problem solved. Besides whats the population out there!? 12 people a town? Whos gonna see ya :)

Ween
03-26-2005, 06:02 AM
Grand Forks' pop. is ~50K; the third largerst city in the state! I don't think that number reflects the students at UND though. I'm anxious to see what it's like here when classes aren't in session.

BTW, the screener's were dead right. After the re-crop and level, we have (which is better than the previous submission, IMO):

[photoid=99041]

Thanks for the comments and help! Oh yeah, if any of you want to come up here, I'd appreciate it. I figure we could take turns standing on each other's shoulder's to gain some elevation!

cmherndon
03-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Grand Forks' pop. is ~50K; the third largerst city in the state!

Hmmm...just slightly more than the population of Franklin County here. Frankfort is NOT our third largest city. :lol:

Very nice composition on the shot.

busyEMT
03-26-2005, 02:30 PM
:lol: Just make a sign explaining what your doing out there on the ladder, put it on a stake and hammer it into the ground! Problem solved. Besides whats the population out there!? 12 people a town? Whos gonna see ya :)

I thought of this the other day, after I was stopped by St. Paul's finest.

[photoid=97114]
Flying a banner of the back of my car. Or better yet, one of those fold-out windshield shades stating: "I'am railfanning! Leave me alone." How about t-shirts for the summer?

Chris, does the light shine on "your side" of the cars far in the background (later in the day or season)? As of now they just blend into the horizon. Imagine aluminum coal cars or the new CNA autoracks stringing around the curve.

Ween
03-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Chris, does the light shine on "your side" of the cars far in the background (later in the day or season)?

I'm thinking that train was pointing south when I snapped the picture, so the sun might be on the 'right' side in the afternoon (obviously, I'd have to be on the other side of the tracks though at that point). As for late in the season, I'm not sure. I've heard it's still light up here around 2130-2200L or so in the summer. Unfortunately, I'll be gone during the longest day (22 Jun or so).

As for autoracks, I have seen nary a one. It's pretty much coal, hoppers, boxcars, and gons in this area...