PDA

View Full Version : Bay Line Question

stlgevo51
07-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm going to Panama City next week on a non-train related trip, but I might be able to get a little bit of railfanning in. The problem is that the only railroad in town is the G&W Bay Line. Does anyone know anything about their operations? Also, I think they have a yard with diesel facilities in Panama City. Where is it, and is there any cool power to check out?

ShortlinesUSA
07-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Jake,

Historically, operations on the Bay Line have the road train departing Panama City right about sundown in the long summer months, and returning just before sunrise. In daylight, you'll typically see locals break down the road train and head out to area industry. The shop is easily visible from a public road, but access probably won't be granted for close up photos. Panama City is now a major shop for the G&W Southeast region, and pretty much anything can be seen there, including newly rebuilt locomotives for any number of G&W operations.

The yard is easily viewed from parallel US 231, and a switch job should be putting together the outbound freight in the afternoon. That may net you some photos. Here is a link to the east end of the yard and shop, and you can scroll around from there to figure out where things are:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=panama+city+fl&hl=en&ll=30.18481,-85.643449&spn=0.007123,0.009645&hnear=Panama+City,+Bay,+Florida&gl=us&t=h&z=17

I've always enjoyed visits down there, though it's been a while since I've been there. I used to lay over right across from the shop in former airline days, and that was our closest beach while I lived in Atlanta. I always managed to catch a little something while down there, so hopefully you'll do the same. Regardless, enjoy your time on some of the most beautiful beaches in the Southeast. I highly recommed going to the beach at St. Andrews State Park if you have not been to this area before. The few bucks they charge you at the gate is well worth avoiding the crowds on other parts of the area beaches.

stlgevo51
07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! Hopefully I can at least see something from the Bay Line while I'm there!