PDA

View Full Version : End of the Alco Era on the Alexander

Joe the Photog
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Matt Bumgarner posted this on the Carolina Rails Facebook page --

Here's the big news... ARC's new SW1500's #11 and #12 are on their way to Taylorsville, all with a new paint scheme. Yes, this will spell the end of the Alcos; however, they are being preserved. #6 is going to the SE Shortline & NG Museum in Newton, #7 is coming to the Alexander Chapter-NRHS and thence to the Craggy Mtn RR. VERY SPECIAL THANKS to the president, Ben Zachary and to the Chairman of the Board Jimmy Abernethy for their incredible generosity.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3207785

ShortlinesUSA
09-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Nice looking SW1500s there, and certainly beats the NS black they were wearing when first released from Altoona. Thanks for this news, Joe.

Joe the Photog
09-21-2012, 09:32 PM
The SW1500s 9 and 10 should still have Altoona-applied black oil paint. I'm not sure where these are coming from or when they'll get to North Carolina. SW1200 #8 should still have her John Deere-like paint.

JRMDC
09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
In the linked shot it looks like on both units the reporting marks are applied with masking tape.

ShortlinesUSA
09-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Ahhh, gotcha, Joe! I was erroneously thinking they sent out the existing SW1500s for a repaint. Two additional SW1500s. Still a cool shortline, no doubt!

As for the masking tape reporting marks, anything a shortline can do to help people figure out what the locomotive is along the way is a must these days. So often these units are lost in transit on Class 1s, I have seen everything from phone numbers to call taped to the cab window to big placarded reporting marks patched to the cab side to get someone to communicate if they don't know what to do with a locomotive if it shows up in their terminal.

JRMDC
09-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Mike, that makes sense for a rust bucket from LTE (no insult intended). But these engines have brand new paint! I suppose they are being cautions and/or thorough.

Joe the Photog
09-22-2012, 03:54 AM
I follow the perils of engines trying to make it to the L&C as best I can. I believe it was the G&O slug #103 that kept passing the L&C interchange for weeks on boith CSX and NS. In the 90s when they took delivery of one of their SW1500s from Vermont, CSX sent it through Florida to get it to South Carolina. Yes, from Vermont. So if I worked for a railroad, I might would try to put Google Map directions to the interchange just to help iut.

Joe the Photog
10-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Alexander Alco S-3 #7 is now at her new home near Asheville, NC.

http://craggymountainline.com/news/2012/new-engine-arrives/
Mike, that makes sense for a rust bucket from LTE (no insult intended). But these engines have brand new paint! I suppose they are being cautions and/or thorough.
The irony here is that these units are from LTEX. Should both be former Weyhauser units. Larry's did the work and the repaints on tem.

Joe the Photog
03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
I know they have been shot before in action, but these are the first of them on RP --

[photoid=428880]

The #11 should be ex-Weyerhauser Timber 307 while #12 is ex-Weyerhauser Timber 308. Both were rehabbed and painted by LTEX.