PDA

View Full Version : Intermodal Cars

Pat Lorenz
03-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Does anyone know about when intermodal stack trains were put into service. I'm talking about well-cars with containers. Not piggybacks. I found some info about Santa Fe running there first piggyback train in 1967 but i cant find anything about containers. I just want to know when they were first on the rails running, or about when?

The reason i ask is that i saw the movie 'Ray', the music guy. And there was a segment in the beginning of the movie that showed there small bus going under a RR bridge and there was a modern TTX container/ well car train passing on top. This train was modern, i mean it had the yellow TTX wellcar and two- freely positioned containers on it. The time period for the shot was around 1950-1952.

So i got to thinking, that is way out of place, how could the producers miss something like that. I mean the automobiles were all correct and such. I know this is kind of stupid but i cant stop thinking about it. Please, what do you think?

cmherndon
03-29-2005, 06:20 AM
I'm not really sure, but I would guess either the 70's or 80's would be when the well cars were introduced. I could be wrong, and probably most likely am. It's just my guess on it. Sounds like they missed a major thing there with the well cars AND the fact that they have TTX on them. It wasn't formed until 1956, and even then it was called Trailer Train...

J
03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
SP and American President Lines experimented with the concept in 1981. The earliest design had large support structures at the car ends to support the upper container as there was concern that the existing fastening systems on the containers themselves might not be robust enough to handle the type of loading found on rail cars.

Pat Lorenz
03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, i remember the support systems, but the car in the movie had no support system, they were free standing containers. I know the free standing idea didnt come around for another year or two after. If its 1981 then that train is way out of place. I am suprised that the producers didnt wait for a manifest or something. Mabey they didnt think anyone would notice, mabey they didnt notice.

J
03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Hollywood focuses on makeup and lighting and doesn't spend too much time on technical issues that would only interest a small part of the audience. Next time you see The Fugitive, watch Harrison Ford crawling around underneath the derailed GP30 after the collision with the bus. You'll notice that there are no traction motors.

busyEMT
03-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Were the containers marked? I don't think Hyundai or Evergreen shipped by rail then. (I haven't seen the movie)

Joe
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Were the containers marked? I don't think Hyundai or Evergreen shipped by rail then. (I haven't seen the movie)

It doesn't matter if there weren't any well cars to ship them on back then! :-P

bnsf sammy
04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree with j about hollywood doesnt care about the trains as long as there is one, because not many people like trains and would notice. I was watching this movie about this girl who goes from DC to LA, and took amtrak. there was a phase 3 f40, and all phase 1 single level coachs. The movie took place in like present day LOL.

J
04-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Dont forget Under Siege Dark Territory where our hero climbs out the door of a former Santa Fe High Level and gets on the roof.