PDA

View Full Version : A shot I have wanted for years

E.M. Bell
03-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Back in "the day", before the Lawrenceburg (KY) depot was moved, the NS's Lawrenceburg local would tie up their power on the house track next to the depot. After the depot was moved, it became standard practice for them to tie up over on the West leg of the wye, closer to the Woodford Street crossing. Ever since, it has been a rare thing to see anything besides MofW equipment or a car or two in the House track. Now, back in "the day" I had not yet explored night photography that much, and while I do have several (OK...a LOT) of shots of of various power in the house track, I had never tried any night stuff there, and it didnt seem that I would get the chance. I had played with a lot of angles in the daylight, trying to get a shot of a train or engine with the old Lawrenceburg hotel in the background, but the light is almost always wrong...it would have to be a night shot....

fastforward a few years...all the planets came together, and I got lucky. The local's power was setting in the right spot at the right time for some reason. GW and myself loaded up the lights, the tripods and camera's and went to try our luck. I shot close to 40 frames at various angles, camera settings ect, and finally got what I had been waiting for...Sure, it might be a little better with a freshly painted NS motor, but ya got to take what ya get. Two hours work netted one "keeper", and I came away pleased with the result, but you can make that call on your own....

[photoid=99699]

ssw9662
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Awesome shot!

dodi4200
06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
really nice shot for the conrail unit make me feel that the yard is working all the day without any stop
mohamed