PDA

View Full Version : Potential for big increase in traffic on the Arizona Eastern

ShortlinesUSA
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
The copper mine at Morenci, Arizona will nearly double its output. This mine is located at the end of the ex SP Clifton branch, which is now operated by G&W's Arizona Eastern RR. The mine itself is served by Freeport's own railroad, which interchanges with the AZER at Clifton.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/copper-morenci-expansion-idUST9N09O02020130115

AZER interchanges with the UP at Lordsburg, NM, which is where the Clifton branch diverges from the Sunset Route. AZER also has trackage rights over UP from Lordsburg to Bowie, AZ, where it connects with the original AZER trackage to Miami, AZ, which is the site of a large copper smelter that uses much of the copper ore mined at Morenci.

The AZER now has a solid roster of ex UP B40-8s, all painted in the G&W corporate colors. They can often be seen headed east on the Sunset Route in the mid to late morning, bound for Lordsburg from Bowie.

jdirelan87
01-16-2013, 01:36 AM
When did they get the new power? The last time I was out there (late 2010) they had a crapper fleet of second generation geeps in all sorts of miss matched paint schemes. Attached is a photo of the one train I've seen running on the line in three attempts!

ShortlinesUSA
01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
New power came in early 2012 after Iowa Pacific Holdings sold the AZER to Genesee & Wyoming. IPH kept the B39-8s, GP35s, and SD9043MACs, but sold the GP20s to G&W as part of the deal. Several of the GP20s have been moved off of the AZER for rebuilding and/or repainting by G&W, such as the pair which arrived on the Commonwealth Railway here in Virginia just a couple of months ago.