PDA

View Full Version : Big Boy #4014 gets the Highball!

Mgoldman
07-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Omaha, Neb., July 23, 2013 Union Pacific Railroad today announced it reached an agreement with the Southern California Chapter - Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Pomona, Calif., to transfer ownership of one of the world's largest steam locomotives, Big Boy No. 4014, back to Union Pacific.

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Can you say "Most popular of the Day"?

/Mitch

jdirelan87
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Wow. Between all the steam, heritage units and rare mileage events... our hobby is truly in the mist of a major renaissance. What a great time to be a railfan!

Freericks
07-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I believe we all owe a huge thanks to the members of the SoCal RLHS who have literally spent that last five decades volunteering thousands of hours of time maintaining 4014, keeping it in such wonderful condition that it was the finest remaining Big Boy in the world.

Some of you know I had hoped one of the more-in-need-of-loving care locomotives got the call - but what is, is and I am behind the deal that was made.

I look forward to photographing this beauty trackside one day as much as I have enjoyed sitting in her cab in Pomona in the past.

Hatchetman
07-24-2013, 12:08 AM
That is pretty damn exciting.

troy12n
07-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Would have been nice to have N&W 2156 (the only surviving Y6 class locomotive) and the 1218 rebuilt to put the final ass whooping on the UP.

But yes, this is really exciting news, that's gonna be a heck of a drive because you know it's not coming anywhere near me...

Mgoldman
07-24-2013, 04:49 AM
But yes, this is really exciting news, that's gonna be a heck of a drive because you know it's not coming anywhere near me...

Yeah, won't see it dressed up as Clinchfield anytime soon, lol.

If I recall correctly, an outside party if funding the bulk of the rebuild. We just need another "fan" with a fascination for N&W articulated steam who happens to have some spare change to offer.

Or.. maybe a local tourist line in the East will decide it wants a new articulated steam engine. Almost happened with C&O #1308. Wow, wouldn't that be something to see.

/Mitch

troy12n
07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah, won't see it dressed up as Clinchfield anytime soon, lol.

No, you are right about that after that mishap with 3985.

Have followed this in the last couple days, apparently even though it's articulated, the fact that each set of 4 wheels is so long due to the drivers being so big, it's limited to the curve radius it can go on. Since the length of each "wheelset" or whatever they are called is longer than a C truck, or even a D truck like the DD40x's had. So I kind of doubt there are many places in the East they would let it run.

magicman_841
07-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Geez. I thought chasing 3751 was scary enough already. :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:

JimThias
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I told my friends back in '09 that there would never been another locomotive that could bring out as many non-railfans trackside as 4449 did. I may have to reconsider.

troy12n
07-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I told my friends back in '09 that there would never been another locomotive that could bring out as many non-railfans trackside as 4449 did. I may have to reconsider.

No doubt!!

Geez. I thought chasing 3751 was scary enough already. :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I had the opportunity to chase the 611 in 1993 I think in the and that was pretty wild, and this was pre-internet and pre-DSLR, real SLR's and decent video cameras were still expensive as hell (which is why I dont have any pics), I cant imagine what that would be like today. I guess we will see when the big boy comes out.