PDA

View Full Version : 611 one step closer to restoration

jnohallman
11-24-2013, 01:16 AM
According to an e-mail sent out by the Fire Up 611 campaign, NS has donated $1.5 million to the VMT to help move the restoration project along.

Jon

CSX1702
11-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I heard about that. NS seems to be a real class act. I know $1.5 million is probably a drop in a bucket for them, but wow.

troy12n
11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I heard about that. NS seems to be a real class act. I know $1.5 million is probably a drop in a bucket for them, but wow.

And i'm sure it's a 100% tax writeoff for them, but yes, it's a nice thing to do.

JRMDC
11-24-2013, 08:11 PM
And i'm sure it's a 100% tax writeoff for them, but yes, it's a nice thing to do.

Sunshine Troy rides again!

I'm not sure what Troy means by 100%. From my (limited) knowledge of corporate accounting, they will count the entire amount as an expense, but that won't reduce their taxes by $1.5 million, but rather $1.5 million times the relevant tax rate.

More importantly, the same thing would be true if they spent the same amount of money on, say, some category of operations expense. So NS is giving up a very real amount of money, they are giving up a full $1.5 million of expenditures on their RR.

MassArt Images
01-01-2014, 02:30 PM

It would be nice if Warren Buffett was a railfan. We would have a BNSF heritage program and maybe a few more steam locomotives actually under steam and not rusting away. To bad his philanthropy interests don't include ferroequinology.

troy12n
01-02-2014, 10:23 AM
It would be nice if Warren Buffett was a railfan. We would have a BNSF heritage program and maybe a few more steam locomotives actually under steam and not rusting away. To bad his philanthropy intersets don't include ferroequinology.

And if only UP and BNSF would get off their asses and paint their locomotive fleets. It's an outrage that it's going on 20 years since the merger and they have not painted all their locomotives yet. NS and CSX did it in just over 10 years.