PDA

View Full Version : copyright?

iCe
09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=concourse;action=display;num=1062 033136

I'm shocked!

Look how many people just take photographs from here!
Even one from our screener!

Is this allowed? I mean they are not only using it as their desktop but are displaying it in a public forum. Some people even cropped out the copyright bar!

:shock: :shock:

:(

Chris Starnes
09-17-2003, 09:13 PM
ICE (and the rest of the forum),

First of all, they didn't actually post a RailPictures.net photo in the forum, they posted a screenshot of their desktop...which just may have had a shot from RP on it. It would be different had they posted an RP picture and said it was theirs, when it wasn't...then you could get upset over that. This isn't anything to get upset over....

I have no problems at all with someone using one of my photos as their wallpaper (not that they did here, but I'm sure it has happened in the past)....actually, it flatters me that they would want a shot of mine on their desktop.

Chris

iCe
09-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Well if you are fine with it, I guess it's alright! :D

Chris Starnes
09-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Thats just MY opinion as a photographer - not as a RailPictures editor. If someone is upset by this (and they have used their photo), they should contact the person who posted it on the forums...

CTS

E.M. Bell
09-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Hell, I am kinda flattered that somebody thought that was good enough to use for a desktop..with my name even!! I dont mind that kind oif "private" use as long as they dont try to take credit for it.. As a matter of fact, my current desktop is a shot by our own Curtis "Derail" Winniger...

Now, If I ever catch somebody trying to pass something of mine as thier own, Ill get out the heat seeking missles and make em think twice!!

E.M. Bell
09-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Hell, I am kinda flattered that somebody thought that was good enough to use for a desktop..with my name even!! I dont mind that kind oif "private" use as long as they dont try to take credit for it.. As a matter of fact, my current desktop is a shot by our own Curtis "Derail" Winniger...

Now, If I ever catch somebody trying to pass something of mine as thier own, Ill get out the heat seeking missles and make em think twice!!

iCe
09-17-2003, 11:55 PM

lol :lol: :lol:

btw, how come Curtis "Derail" Wininger? is that his nickname?

Chris Starnes
09-18-2003, 12:03 AM
You would just have to know him to appreciate that ;) It is a looong story.

Mr. Bell has many nicknames for me as well, I just hope he doesn't decide to share them :D

CTS

E.M. Bell
09-18-2003, 12:08 AM
never fear Mr. Leno.. your secret idenity is safe with me..

:twisted: :twisted:

iCe
09-18-2003, 12:31 AM
I can see that the three of you have had some fun times together. :D

BTW, Mr Bell, what camera do you use? Just out of curiousity.

E.M. Bell
09-18-2003, 01:07 AM
Cannon A-2 as the primary weapon, and a Cannon Rebel G as the backup.

Cannon ultrasonic 75 to 300 zoom

cannon ultrasonic 28 to 80 wide angle

iCe
09-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Ok, thanks.

I see someone likes Canon :D .

Lord Vader
09-18-2003, 09:41 PM
My most disturbing was finding a webcam picture of some railfan on his homepage and there in the background, above his bed, is a framed photo I took. Ay caramba!!!!

Jay, don't let Bumbles get you down. We're all FOE here :evil:

iCe
09-18-2003, 10:00 PM
My most disturbing was finding a webcam picture of some railfan on his homepage and there in the background, above his bed, is a framed photo I took. Ay caramba!!!!

Jay, don't let Bumbles get you down. We're all FOE here :evil:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Now that's extreme!

Guilford350
09-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't mind having other people using my photos as their desktops. In fact, I think I would like it. But it would be wrong for them to take credit for that photo, though. I definately agree there.

Chris Kilroy
09-19-2003, 01:00 AM
I have several of *my* photos framed on the walls... ;)