PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear waste dump site.

UP Special
04-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I have just heard some news about a nuclear dump site called Yucca Mountain. Many of the nuclear waste will be moved by trains there from all over the state. The mountain is located in Nevada. These trains will be operation by 2010. Also these freights might roll by your neighborhood not just the towns in Nevada.

Just something to think about.

Ken Carr
04-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Yep that the plan, do not have a lot of info but from what I can pick up, UP will use the LA/SLC route with a spur going into the test site at Calintie Nevada.

busyEMT
04-25-2005, 02:00 AM
I just saw a show on the History Channel about hazardous cargo. They covered railroad yards and loads in general, and then some on the nuke stuff. The containers look pretty strong to me. If they can maintain a seal after a rocket-powered Geep (7 or 9) broadsides the car, it has my vote.

cmherndon
04-25-2005, 02:32 AM
The containers look pretty strong to me. If they can maintain a seal after a rocket-powered Geep (7 or 9) broadsides the car, it has my vote.

Mine too. Besides, I'd much rather have that stuff shipped by rail than by truck.

ssw9662
04-25-2005, 11:02 AM
...and then some on the nuke stuff. The containers look pretty strong to me. If they can maintain a seal after a rocket-powered Geep (7 or 9) broadsides the car, it has my vote.

I saw the show too and I believe the locomotive was an MRS1. If the containers can survive that much damage, then they have my vote too (Hey, I only live 40 miles from a nuclear plant anyway).

J
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
The casks are designed to handle just about any accident sequence. The delays are mostly political.

1) Much of Nevada is not thrilled with the prospect of being the nation's dumping ground for spent fuel (although I recall the mayor of Calliente (Nevada, not CA) publicly welcomed the prospect of the shipments as it would bring some economic activity to the town.

2) Many environmentalists "play the safety card" in their opposition to the use of nuclear energy. Protesting the shipments is one way to advance their agenda to end the use of that technology.

UP Special
04-26-2005, 04:00 AM
The containers look really sturdy. But the thing is radiation can still be in affect even though most of it is absorbed, it can still leak out right or correct me if I'm wrong if you hear anything different.

J
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
The containers look really sturdy. But the thing is radiation can still be in affect even though most of it is absorbed, it can still leak out right or correct me if I'm wrong if you hear anything different.

I'll start by saying I'm no expert but understand that a reading more than a few meters from the cask would show nothing but backgrould levels. While you may not want to pitch a tent and live on top of the cask for several months, the emissions would pose no hazard to crews or the public.

UP Special
04-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Ah there it is a gamma shield that explains everything thank you for the great picture.