PDA

View Full Version : What railroad magazines do YOU read?

Guilford350
09-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, which railroad magazines do you guys read?
Currently, I'm subscribed to Trains, Model Railroader, and Railpace Newsmagazine. Other ones that I buy off the "newstand" are TRP, Model Railroading, Diesel Era, and Railmodel Journal. I highly recommend Railpace, especially if you live in or near the northeast.

mojo628
09-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Still in "rookie" status as a railfanner :wink: but I've begun to read Trains magazine and Railfan and Railroad magazine.

Lord Vader
09-20-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm obviously partial to CTC Board, but I also read Railway Age and Trains.

E.M. Bell
09-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Personally, I dont subscibe or ready ANY of them...they wont get a dime of my money again. 99.9% of the news that you will find in any of the rail mags is at least a month old when you get, and can be found at mulitple places on the internet quicker, and for free. Why waste money that could be better spent on film and gas and beer??? :D

Also, ALL of the popular rail mags have a Western Slant. Look back though any isseue of trains, R&R, even the mighty CTC board, and at least 70% of the content is BNSF, UP or Western Shortlines. SURE, there have been articles about CSX, NS ect here and there, but not enough. The Mags say that they dont get submissions from Eastern and Southeastern readers, so they have nothing to print...but turn down decent photos of CSX and NS material to run another mind numbingly boring pic of some UP train on Cajon pass, or some two-bit shortline in BFE California that up and died, or washed a engine or some BS crap like that....

If I want to see great pictures I Will come here to RP, if I want current and timely news items, I Will check my yahoo groups......and save my money for film for the camera, gas for the truck, and beer for those longs nights of scanning pics...

:twisted:

iCe
09-21-2003, 02:28 AM
I'm not suscribed to any magz either!

It's true, the internet is so much more complete. Take this site for example, you can search for exactly what you want.

And then, there are so many internet sites for railroads all around the world.

Chris Starnes
09-21-2003, 06:49 AM
CTC Board - The best photography out there, western or not. If you want a rail photo magazine, this is where you need to be.

Trains - Used to be better than it is now, but still a good magazine. Lots of "insider" type of topics lately.

Railfan & Railroad - Steve turns out a good magazine, the photography is (generally) very good and the articles are interesting.

TRP - Great print and photo quality....layout is a little iffy at times, but overall worth the $. This is the only one of my four that doesn't accept digital at the present time, so that is kinda of a turnoff for me.

Chris

Thunder Down Under
09-22-2003, 05:02 AM
The only one's I buy now is, the British magazine 'The Railway Magazine' and 'Heritage Commercials'

Used to buy 'Trains' but not knowing the USA scene, I gave it up

TDU

oltmannd
09-22-2003, 02:42 PM
I currently read Trains plus two trade mags, "Progresive Railroading" and "Railway Age".

If you want to understand how RRs work and what's going on, Trains is the best of that bunch. Way more insight and far less industry "rah-rah" in Trains than the trade mags.

Railfan and Railroad is nice, but I find their articles a bit "lightweight'. Railpace is nice, too, but limited to the Northeast. Both are good for general railfan information, but neither does much real railroad reporting as Trains does. (Nobody has Train's budget, either.)

Trainman51
10-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I read The Railfan & Railroad and I am also a member of the Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society so therefor i read there Publication