View Full Version : Storm reports??

E.M. Bell
09-19-2003, 03:12 AM
Anyone from the effected areas have any storm reports for us? Watching the local news here, it looks like certain areas are being hit pretty hard, and a person I talked to near Pittsburg tonight said they are having heavy rain and sunstained winds.

Listening to a RR Audio feed from the North Central Virginia, it seems that NS and CSX are having troubles... lots of trees down, minor flooding and lots of Signal troubles..

safe and sound on a moonlit KY night..

09-19-2003, 03:06 PM
I was busy with hearth, home, kith, kin and the such 'til late and didn't hear anything on the scanner until one this morning. In the past two hours (1-3) the following was gleaned from the scanner. The area I'm writing about is Baltimore, Maryland metro up to the Mason Dixon Line and South towards D.C. West to Harpers Ferry and East to Maryland's Western Shore.

Amtrak Northeast Corridor: No trains moving at one a.m. MOW and signal maintainers out in full force. Tree down on the tracks and in the catenary at mp 68.13, with signal wires down at 68.05. The one o'clock hour sounded pretty bad, with all the signals down in the Baltimore to Perryville area. Every crew was working on various tasks and the problems were still rolling in. The radio chatter was on the hopeless side, but still professional. By three they were back in action with trains lined up to start moving from Baltimore, Aberdeen, and Gunpow(der). Train at Gunpow was halted as they are reporting no power what-so and BGE lines (apparently related) down in the vicinity. Signals are still down in Harford County throughout, with the dispatcher talking the trains through. At least one train was recrewed tonight and there was one transfer of passengers to another train.

CSX: haven't heard too much as the activity on the Amtrak frequencies has been so thick. Many tress down, and a lot of activity devoted to getting crews off trains. I don't know if CSX shut down certain lines, or that a lot of crews went dead on time. The Metropolitan sub had trees down when I was listening at 7:00 p.m. (edt) and had more troubles when I started listening again at one a.m. Both around the lower MP's, or rather BA's. Train 342 went dead on time around one.; I didn't get the prefix. A train was headed for the bear creek bridge around 2, so that's functional with the bridge tender in place. Then some trees went down blocking access around 9:30.

NS: haven't heard a thing from the Balto yards. Port Road seems to be functioning and I heard a train calling the signals at Tome, near Port Deposit an are that is a potential ground zero for hurricane and most other weather diasters. The Signal department base at Conawingo had a tree fall across their entrance way and had to cut their way in. MOW chatter much heavier than usual.

Update: as of 6:30 Amtrak NEC still having problems with signals.

I live close enough to CSX's Philadelphia Sub to hear the signals called on my scanner and I have not heard a thing today. As of 9ish CSX's Old Main Line, and Metropolitan Sub seemed to be up and running to one degree or another.

Curtis bay yard (CSX) is up and running. It's been hard for all the RR's, they clear one tree and three more fall, one repair is made to a signal and then the whole signal system goes out, etc.

As for the area in general: The 2:oo a.m. high tide flooded Fells Point (part of east Baltimore), a good portion of the northern Patapsco River, the Baltimore Inner Harbor and the City Docks of Annapolis. It is now low tide but run-off has kept it all rising. Several dozen water rescues performed, some from houses, some from cars, and one G&T case who decided it would be a great night to go windsurfing. The backside of this storm was much harsher than the front and the winds remain strong and gusty with some rain. We didn't seem to get too much flash flooding, which is always good news. The storm's track, upriver from us will guarantee flooding for the next few days. Gov still wants everybody to stay home. Many streets flooded, debris is everywhere, thousands of tree limbs are down. The emotions in the flooded areas in Baltimore and Annapolis are running quite high. I saw a 35 year veteran reporter have to stop his report in order to regain his composure, and sobbing small business owners have been reported in Annapolis. My own outfit is none the worse for ware, excepting myself who has now been awake for 68 hours. We came through just fine. Most of the entire area is breathing a collective sigh of relief. We are still experiencing some high winds and rain but the worst is over. The electricity is back on after a 12 hour blackout and I think it's time for a little nap. Hope everyone else has faired as well as my folk have.

09-20-2003, 03:08 PM
On the Roads, Rails, Going Is Still Slow
Power Outages Darken Metro Stops, Streetlights

By Katherine Shaver and Lyndsey Layton
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, September 20, 2003; Page B01

The region's transportation system limped back into service yesterday after Thursday's destruction, but officials said it could take another couple of days until all roads are cleared, stoplights are functioning and planes are flying on time.

Metro escaped the storm with minor damage and reopened the subway system at 8 a.m. Despite the fact that passengers had to wait 12 to 15 minutes between trains, Metro charged the usual morning and afternoon rush-hour fares. Passengers who complained received shrugs from station managers.

A third of Metro's 83 rail stations, mostly on the upper Red Line in Montgomery County, remained without power through the day, dimly lit by emergency generators. Transit officials said they expect to have regular peak service running in time for the Monday morning commute.

For tomorrow's 4 p.m. Washington Redskins-New York Giants game at FedEx Field, Metro will run its usual service. Transportation officials said there have been no problems with major roads leading to the stadium, such as the Capital Beltway.

The road and transit system's dependence on electricity was evident yesterday, as power failures wreaked havoc on everything from train track signals to stoplights to airport terminals.

More than 1,600 intersections remained without working stoplights, as the power outages that plagued residents' homes left intersections dark, too. At one point, one in five District stoplights weren't working and more than half of Montgomery County's intersections were dark.

The traffic signals "are running on the same power grids just like everything else," said Ryan Hall, a spokesman for the Virginia Department of Transportation. "It's not VDOT power. When the power comes back on, the signals will be back on."

Dan Tangherlini, the District's transportation director, said road crews were clearing trees from about 300 city streets.

The saving grace: The crush of peak hour traffic that can cripple the road system even on a good day didn't materialize, as federal workers and school children enjoyed a second day off.

"We're going to keep working over the weekend to get everything opened up," Tangherlini said. "People just need to be patient and recognize we're working as hard as we can."

Planes were once again flying into and out of the area's three major airports, including Reagan National, where the runway lights had been flooded out but were fixed by late afternoon. However, airport officials warned that passengers could face delays through Sunday as airlines work through the backlog of canceled flights. Many departures were delayed because planes that had been removed from the hurricane's path overnight had to be flown back in.

"It's ironic," said Tara Hamilton, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which operates National and Dulles International airports. "It's a sunny day and all the restaurants and shops are open and the screeners are here with the airline folks. We just need to get the aircraft back."

Amtrak also resumed full service between Washington and New York and points north, though trains south of Union Station remained canceled until the freight railroads that own the tracks could assess damage. Amtrak expected to have some trains running south of Washington by today, but passengers should call 800-USA-RAIL for the limited schedule, Amtrak spokesman Dan Stessel said.

Metro managers said they charged premium fares because they couldn't lower fares without permission from the agency's board of directors. Chief Executive Richard A. White did not seek that permission yesterday.

Alerted to the premium fares by a reporter, the Metro board chairman, Jim Graham, said he intends to change the policy to avoid a recurrence in the future.

"The riders are right," said Graham, a D.C. Council member. "I can't justify this."

VRE is planning to run full service Monday, spokesman Mark Roeber said.

Maryland Transportation Secretary Robert L. Flanagan said he expected MARC service to resume by Monday, as long as power can be restored to signaling systems on the tracks owned by CSX Railroad. He said Maryland commuter buses, which didn't run yesterday, also should be back in service by Monday.

Flanagan asked that motorists continue to avoid unnecessary car trips until the mess can be cleaned up.

"The flooded roadways and the power outages with the lack of traffic signals are creating very serious hazards," he said.

2003 The Washington Post Company

09-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Managed to get a few storm pictures posted.




09-24-2003, 09:46 PM
I would never have guessed anything about storms on this one hadn't it been for the remarks:


09-24-2003, 11:44 PM
If you look on the left side you will see it. It's the only picture with storm damage I could get past the screeners. Here's a reject that shows the damage in a more graphic fashion.


And here's one that shows the floodwaters in the whole area.


09-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Very interesting pictures!

09-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Whoda thunk it?!? :roll:

09-25-2003, 07:25 PM

09-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Maybe I should change that to, "Imagine that" and also correct an impoliteness for not saying, "Thanx for the compliment." So, Thanx for the compliment. :)

09-26-2003, 12:59 AM
oh....now I see,

anyways, you're welcome :D

09-26-2003, 02:06 AM
MARC commuter service was suspended in Frederick, Maryland due to a sink hole that was attributed to the storm. It was a big one too. However that area is prone to sink holes which they seem to blame on the drought in dry weather and the rain in wet. Service should resume on Friday.