PDA

View Full Version : Biggest railroads

dgl
05-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Hello,

What are the biggest railroads in North America? Ranked by either miles of track, number of engines, number of employees, revenue... etc. Is there a website that ranks them?

DGL

RJSorensen
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I am not sure . . . but I would guess the Union Pacific will be at the top.

ccaranna
05-07-2005, 11:23 PM
I am not sure either, but here are the biggest Class 1's that are left... in no particular order:

BNSF
NS
UP
CSX

I'm still convinced that before I'm long gone, we'll be down to 2 Class 1's. Could be 20 years down the road, but I think it will happen. (Others may disagree) I'm still wondering how KCS and IC still survive.

It's my prediction that someday BNSF and CSX will become one and NS and UP will make the other. I could be full of bull, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Chuck

Ween
05-08-2005, 02:09 AM
IC is already dead: it's now part of CN.

CP is another Class I.

If anyone merges, it would be just the opposite: BNSF with NS and UP with CSX...but that's just based on trackside observation (i.e. no actual looking at the companies themselves)...

cmherndon
05-08-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm still convinced that before I'm long gone, we'll be down to 2 Class 1's. Could be 20 years down the road, but I think it will happen. (Others may disagree) I'm still wondering how KCS and IC still survive.

Don't forget, KCS is still a Class 1, so there are 7 in the United States. Is the FEC still considered one? I know they were several years ago.

As far as size (route miles), I think UP is the largest. Does anyone know the approximate milage? I'm thinking it's close to 30 or 40,0000.

kfleeman
05-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Union Pacific operates 38,654 miles of track in 23 states. BNSF operates 31,000 miles of track in 27 states and two Canadian provinces. CSX operates 23,000 miles of track in 22 states. NS operates 22,000 miles of track in 22 states, the District of Columbia, and the province of Ontario. CN operates 18,292 miles of track in Canada and the U.S. Canadian Pacific operates 14,000 miles of track across Canada and the U.S. Hope that's enough numbers for you. :smile: I have these railroads listed from highest to lowest in terms of revenue also, with UP having the most and CP the least. If any mergers will happen it will most likely be the BNSF and NS joining and the UP and CSX joining. In fact, UP and CSX may join in the near future. Hope all this helps.

ccaranna
05-08-2005, 04:05 AM
IC is already dead: it's now part of CN.

CP is another Class I.

Thanks Ween, I was just thinking in terms of the U.S., though CN is really moving in here it seems!

If anyone merges, it would be just the opposite: BNSF with NS and UP with CSX...but that's just based on trackside observation (i.e. no actual looking at the companies themselves)

Really? My perception is that NS and BNSF are the stronger of the four, and that BNSF/CSX and NS/UP seems overall more evenly paired. But just like you, it's trackside observation.

Actually, I wish none of this ever happens...I'd like to hang on to the little variety of roads we have left among the bigboys!!

David Telesha
05-09-2005, 06:50 PM
The Class I New Haven Railroad 1872-1968.

2nd Largest Commuter Railroad in the US
3rd Most Carrier of Passengers in the US
NHRR Cedar Hill Yard - [was] one in Top 10 Largest in US

My favorite RR - NYNH&HRR... NOT SMALL AT ALL.

J
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM
My favorite RR - NYNH&HRR... NOT SMALL AT ALL.

Don't forget, no matter how short, most are the same width.
(old railroad joke)