PDA

View Full Version : Friendly waves

ccaranna
05-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Nothing gives you a better feeling than when a crewmember waves at you. Maybe I'm just a throwback, but I wish all crews enjoyed their job and were enthusiastic like the one engineer/conductor today on the NS 179 through Columbus.

My usual hangout along the NS Sandusky district was getting some trackwork done, and this seemed to back up traffic just a little. Over the air, you could tell there was some friendly tension between dispatcher and trackwork crew, but they both obviously had jobs to do; one to run trains, the other to safely get them there. And who's in the middle? The road crews.

Now, I've ocassionally come across some crews over the air that are impatient and get down right unhappy, and as a result, their tones drip with sarcasm. I bet those are the ones that sort of stare at you like you're from outerspace when you're trackside. But today's crew on 179 gave me friendly wave even though they had to wait for a while.

After they had passed my location, the Columbus dispatcher came over the radio and said, "179 clear to Fisher and TOC." (which is a good thing) The crew then confirmed the order back cheerfully, to which I could tell it made dispatcher smile when she signed off.

I guess the lesson I learned from this is to try to have a good attitude, becuase it really goes along way and has a good effect on others! :)

Ween
05-15-2005, 12:28 AM
The crew then confirmed the order back cheerfully, to which I could tell it made dispatcher smile when she signed off.

Well, that's why! I'm usually more friendly too when talking to a female controller than some other dude!!! :lol:

ccaranna
05-15-2005, 12:38 AM
No DOUBT!!! ;)