PDA

View Full Version : Gamma . . .

RJSorensen
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I was talking with my son, the smart one, about a string of rejections I received, regarding being to dark. I thought them good shots and they looked fine to me here, but I use a Mac my sons keep up for me. They are PC nerds themselves, well he told me that PC's are or should I say view, darker than Mac's do. So when I set them dark enough to look good here, they may be too dark on your screen(s). So the question is what do our submissions get viewed on. Mac's or PC's and are they CRT's or flat screens? Color calibrated or just eye-balled?

I think my luck will or at least has a chance of improving if one or more of you men in black will inform me as to the equipment used at RPN headquarters.

Thanks as always.

trainmonster
05-18-2005, 01:03 AM
I've alays been curious about this also... I calibrated my CRT flat tube monitor (Sony on a PC)) with Adobe Gamma and all seems fine except for post processing on my part sometimes.

I see an awful lot of shots here that are very light to almost overexposed (to my eye); maybe the screeners could clear this one up for us-it'd give us a good frame of reference.

Rich

cmherndon
05-18-2005, 02:48 AM
So the question is what do our submissions get viewed on. Mac's or PC's and are they CRT's or flat screens? Color calibrated or just eye-balled?

I'm looking at an "old fashioned" CRT that's almost 5 years old (as is my system :lol:, but I use Win XP). I just recently calibrated it with Adobe Gamma and everything seems to be working fine.

Pat Lorenz
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
I dont know much about computers but i have a Compaq PC computer with a flat screen monitor and when i upload on RPic's the photo turns out a bit darker than what i had on my photo shop. So i have learned to make the pictures a bit brighter on photoshop so they dont come out too dark when i upload. Not that this helps anyone else.

trainmonster
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I dont know much about computers but i have a Compaq PC computer with a flat screen monitor and when i upload on RPic's the photo turns out a bit darker than what i had on my photo shop. So i have learned to make the pictures a bit brighter on photoshop so they dont come out too dark when i upload. Not that this helps anyone else.

If you have Photoshop, you've got Adobe Gamma-should be in your control panel. It walks you right through-if you calibrate with it it should eliminate this.

I post process my photos how I like them to look-I don't like them lightened to the point where the background looks washed out. For that, I'll make a copy and submit that if need be.

I did get curious and check-and photos on the site and my locally saved ones look the same, so try doing the calibration. 8-)

Rich

RJSorensen
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
So different calibrations can affect the viewing on different computers? And if you check you onsite vs. the RPN one and they are off, the answer is to offset the uploaded version. Is that right?

MOJAX
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Found this at the Adobe Site regarding Mac's and PC's

"In very simplistic terms, gamma is the measure of the contrast--brightness of the midtone values--produced by a device (like a computer monitor) or in a photographic image. A higher gamma value yields an overall darker image. Windows systems use a higher gamma value (usually 2.2) than Mac OS systems (usually 1.8), with the result that the same image is noticeably darker on a Windows system than on a Mac OS system."

RJSorensen
05-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Ouch! Thank you for the bad news, at least now I know part of the reason for the screeners saying I am to dark . . . anyone have a work around for this?

mtrails
05-19-2005, 04:01 AM
I had noticed that earlier pics I submitted were rejected for poor lighting... so I have been using gamma correction on photo's I submit. Even though they might look overexposed or washed out to me, they are fine on RP's end...

RJSorensen
05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
How do you do a gamma correction? Is it in photoshop or some other kind of thing?

cmherndon
05-19-2005, 06:12 PM
In Windows, it's under "Control Panel". I'm not sure about Mac though. I guess it would be under something similar.

willie6622
05-20-2005, 05:03 AM
Here is a link to a site that I posted a couple of months ago. This should give you an idea your monitor is near being in proper calibration.

http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dyna...s%2Fmonitor.htm

RJSorensen
05-20-2005, 06:25 AM
The link was not available? And I want to thank everyone for their help on this one. Some of this is . . . well not what I thought I was getting into. But I guess one can learn the ropes if they keep an open mind and are willing.

willie6622
05-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Here is a copy of the link that works. http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.prodigy.net%2F ecmorris%2Ftips%2Fmonitor.htm

Willie