PDA

View Full Version : Close following

mtrails
05-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi everybody, I saw something strange today, and wonder if anyone else has? I suppose it was a regulated practice since I witnessed it: A rail crane was being closely followed by an eastbound freight train. The distance between the crane and the train was approximately 25 feet. I heard the horn of the freight train as is was approaching, and was quite surprised to see a crane pop out from behind a building along the mainline, then of course the chasing train. The train was following the crane at about 25 mph or less. I figured maybe the horn on the crane wasn't working and the freight train was it's sounder?

David Telesha
05-19-2005, 02:22 AM
As long as you can stop within half your range of vision trains can follow each other within a few feet.

That was just the way the move was arranged - theres no such thing as a "sounder" - a stop and protect order would have to be issued for the crane. No exceptions.

RJSorensen
05-19-2005, 03:34 AM
A fun thing to see regardless . . . did you get some shots?

mtrails
05-19-2005, 03:49 AM
As long as you can stop within half your range of vision trains can follow each other within a few feet.

That was just the way the move was arranged - theres no such thing as a "sounder" - a stop and protect order would have to be issued for the crane. No exceptions.

Thanks for the response, David. I have been a railfan my whole life, but yet learning about rail traits and operations all the time.

A fun thing to see regardless . . . did you get some shots?

No RJ, wasn't able to get a shot of it, though I would have loved to!

cmherndon
05-19-2005, 04:19 AM

Exactly. Restricted speed is defined as a speed that allows stopping within half the range of vision, but not exceeding 15 mph. (this may be 20 in some books)

A fun thing to see regardless

I see this sort of thing happen all the time on the Louisville District. A lot of times in the afternoon, there can be 4 or 5 train meets at one siding (usually Waddy since it's the longest). Depending on length, they'll sometimes be right up on each other's tail. It's fun to watch, but the poor dispatcher was spitting out track warrants like an auctioneer. :wink: Here's a shot of one of those meets from September, 2003.

[photoid=31380]

This can happen either when a train gets permission by a stop signal or is running on restricting signals.