PDA

View Full Version : Law & Order 5/18/05

cmherndon
05-19-2005, 04:27 AM
Did anyone happen to catch Law & Order tonight? It was based off of the Metrolink accident in California several months back. If you saw the program, what were your thoughts on it?

dodi4200
05-19-2005, 12:40 PM
i think that law&order is shown here in egypt at achannel called mbc2
i will try to catch it but as u saw it wt yur opinion about it?
also i have aquestion i think taht metrolink trains just use emd sd60f is this right or there is other types of locos that metrolink uses?
mohamed

busyEMT
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
As a rabid fan of Law & Order, I saw it. It was ok. Thankfully the writers didn't try and get down-and-dirty with railroad details, to look as stupid as the Numb3rs show. Almost immediately, the investigation went looking for the driver that drove onto the tracks.

This season, there was an uproar, here in Minnesota, when the WI hunting murders became a storyline in Law & Order. But in reality, once the investigation gets underway, the story goes in another direction (and has less to do with the actual headline it was ripped from). And that was also true for this episode.

cmherndon
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Thankfully the writers didn't try and get down-and-dirty with railroad details, to look as stupid as the Numb3rs show. Almost immediately, the investigation went looking for the driver that drove onto the tracks.

How true. I don't watch it religiously, but did last night after hearing about the storyline. It's a good thing they didn't try to get down and dirty with the railroad details, although the engineer said he did "slam on the brakes" to keep from hitting the vehicle. In my opinion, it was much better than the episode of Numb3rs that aired a few months ago.

bnsf sammy
05-20-2005, 01:35 AM
also i have aquestion i think taht metrolink trains just use emd sd60f is this right or there is other types of locos that metrolink uses?
mohamed
metrolink uses EMD F59PHI's
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=99172
and F59PH
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=80073

BNSF SAMMY
p.s i didnt see the law and order..should have LOL

E3429
05-20-2005, 04:11 AM
In my opinion, it was much better than the episode of Numb3rs that aired a few months ago.

NOTHING has been as bad as the Numb3rs episode.

cmherndon
05-20-2005, 04:27 AM

Go rent Runaway Train. The over 170 inaccuracies speak for themselves. :D

E3429
05-20-2005, 11:10 AM
True enough. But what numbnuts would climb outside of an engine to unclog a sander hose right before they hit a school bus? For me, that wins 'Numb3rs' the all time prize of 'yeah-ok'. Of course I never understood why they didn't just cut off the last engine in Runaway Train....or why it didn't shut down when the 'croaked engineer' dumped the air...or...ok...neither wins prizes for accuracy!

busyEMT
05-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I grew up with a taped copy of Silver Streak (when TBS was a fledgling channel), so I still love it today - a nostalgia thing.

The other day at work I flipped from the Twins game to watch bits and pieces of Atomic Train. I missed the Train part(s) of the movie. Let's just say I won't produce an effort to rent it.

Ru1056
05-20-2005, 03:24 PM

Being in and around law enforcement any of these "cop shows" really dont care about being factually acurate when depicting details. Most tv is slop, and these shows are the worst turds in the toilet (Law & Order, the original is halfway decent). CSI has you believe you can take 1 hair found 20 years after a crime, and in 10 seconds have a DNA match :roll:

The more I watch, the more I understand why Elvis shot his TV.

J
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
The other day at work I flipped from the Twins game to watch bits and pieces of Atomic Train. I missed the Train part(s) of the movie. Let's just say I won't produce an effort to rent it.

Is that the one with Rob Lowe as the Dashing NTSB Investigator who opens the locomotive's compressor department doors (to stop the train) and finds a bunch of sparks flying out? Gosh, maybe radiator fan contactor was siezing up?

The following rumor might be true:

This was originally aired on NBC (Owned by GE who happens to build stuff like locomotives and nuclear power generation equipment, etc.) A railroad executive caught wind of the plot which, at the time was nuclear materials hurtling out of control down the Rockies. He called Jack Welch and asked him what the h$%& "his" network thinking whipping up excitement about nuclear materials and railroads. Days before the scheduled airing the movie was re-edited to remove all mention nucs.

Read all about this marvelous film. The first reviewer said, "Pretty Bad."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144039/#comment

busyEMT
05-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Is that the one with Rob Lowe as the Dashing NTSB Investigator who opens the locomotive's compressor department doors (to stop the train) and finds a bunch of sparks flying out? Gosh, maybe radiator fan contactor was siezing up?

I didn't even notice - if it was Rob Lowe. Maybe it was the precursor to the flaming GE dash series.

Being in and around law enforcement any of these "cop shows" really dont care about being factually acurate when depicting details. Most tv is slop, and these shows are the worst turds in the toilet (Law & Order, the original is halfway decent). CSI has you believe you can take 1 hair found 20 years after a crime, and in 10 seconds have a DNA match

That is the way I am with ER and most recently Turd Watch. The drama and soap operatic influences push away reality, which isn't really glamorous any how.

(By the way, what does 1056 mean to your department?)

Ru1056
05-21-2005, 04:28 AM
By the way, what does 1056 mean to your department?)

10-56: Intoxicated person.

I dealt with a <b><i>lot</b></i> of those when I was a transit officer.

E3429
05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
CSI has you believe you can take 1 hair found 20 years after a crime, and in 10 seconds have a DNA match :roll:

Agreed 100% I heard a radio interview with an actual CSI person who said they show that program as an instructional video of how NOT to do things.

If you want another BAD example of cinematography with a railroad theme, check out Under Siege 'Dark Territory' with Steven Segal. Steven Segal-do I need to say anymore?

E.M. Bell
05-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Steven Segal-do I need to say anymore?

Nuff said...you know what the best part of a Segal movie is...THE END :razz:

It has become a winter tradition around here for all of us to get together and watch a movie and drink some barley pop on Saturday Nights, and more often than not, said movie is somehow railroad related. Its GREAT fun to keep a running list of everything that we find wrong in those movies. One of the best (at least in my opinion) RR related movies has to be Empor of the North. The in-accuracies in that one are held to a minumum, and one can even see some small details that most movie folks wouldnt think twice about, like Shack taking time to open a knuckle and line a drawbar before a coupling, dialouge about the wedges in the main rods needing shimming and so forth. The only thing that gets me in that movie is the over use of railroad slang...highball, hogger, ect...makes you wonder if they really talked like that back then. At least they got the period dress right...you wont see a engineer wearing those tacky pinstripe painters overalls with a red hanky tied around the neck like you do in so many movies....its all denim and kromer caps as god intended.

Ru1056
05-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Empor of the North

I was trying to recall that same movie the other day, and couldn't figure out the name of the movie. Isn't that the one with the really mean Engineer/fireman?

If so I agree, it is awful.

E3429
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Who could forget Ernest Borgnine whacking a hobo on the head with a hammer while he's eating a sandwich? NOBODY rides Shack's train. Definetely a classic. "Call division and tell 'em you're opening the road to tramps."

Anybody recall 'Disaster on the Coastliner' (I think) with William Shatner?

cmherndon
05-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Who could forget Ernest Borgnine whacking a hobo on the head with a hammer while he's eating a sandwich? NOBODY rides Shack's train. Definetely a classic. "Call division and tell 'em you're opening the road to tramps."

Not only that, but the best line from that movie as well. You know after Shack finds out his train's on fire, the fireman says, "He's gonna be a mean SOB now!" to which the engineer replies, "Well, what was he before?" :grin: