PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you Model Railroaders?

ssw9662
05-28-2005, 12:09 AM
I have a 12x16 N Scale layout in my basement. 8-) Pics to come when I get the chance to post them!

Joe
05-28-2005, 01:03 AM
HO scale here...no beautifully scenicked layout or anything in my basement though...But I belong to a club so I get to run my stuff at shows.

Pat Lorenz
05-28-2005, 03:16 AM
I am N scale Model Railroader. I have a 12x8 ft N scale layout that is in a bedroom. It doesnt have any hills or anything fancy but it is pretty much done. Just something to keep my trains running. I get all my big running done at my N scale club and at my club's shows. Our club had a big layout but we have had to take it down due to some unfortunate circumstances. We have a web site:

http://home.comcast.net/~train11330/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Here are a couple of my home N scale layout:

RJSorensen
05-28-2005, 06:28 AM
I have some N scale cars and things, but nothing set up at the moment. I enjoyed the photos posted.

ccaranna
05-28-2005, 07:56 AM
HO scale, too. My dad and I had worked on a layout when I was a kid, but I think it's in storage somewhere.

I'm working on a shelf switching layout that's 2 feet deep in an L-shape. It's 6 feet down one side and 11 down the other. It's the best I can do in an apartment. I'm looking forward to getting a house so I actually have a basement and can have a better workshop.

The more I learn about prototype railroading, the more I really would like to someday construct a large layout and run it realistically with several operators. I just hope that I have the time, money, and the skills to accomplish what I want!

Chuck

bnsf sammy
05-28-2005, 11:36 PM
HO 6'x4' BNSF and amtrak

cmherndon
05-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I used to be into HO, but switched to N a few years ago. I'd probably be into it more, but just don't really have the time or space to do anything with it right now.

Ivotje
06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I have also a modelrailroad. In the netherlands we speak with meters. My modelrailroad is 3 meters * 1,50. The locos and wagons are most of UP and trailertrain and cttx.

dodi4200
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
hey IVO
i wanna to know if there is model railroad shops in netherland or u buy them but visa or wat?
there is just one model railroad shop here in egypt for rocco but the prices are very expensive also its european models not egyptian. waiting to hear soon from you
mohamed:D

Ivotje
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Their in the Netherlands 2 shops who have american modeltrains. Other shops are focused on Germany en Austria railways. I go also to Germany their is a shop with also nice american trainmodels. I have no visa :sad: so i must buy in the Netherlands or Germany. I'm looking for someone in the USA who can buy for me some models and ship them to me, offcourse i pay first with my bankaccount :grin:

canadianrailfan
08-13-2005, 07:15 AM
HO Scale too, but I don't have a layout, I'm lacking two things, Money & Space. But like Joe I belong to a club, the North Okanagan Model Railroad Association, so I can run my equipment there.

busyEMT
08-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I was and will be.

As a pre-teen I had the obligatory 8x4 piece of plywood on sawhorses in my bedroom.

When my wife and I look at new houses, accommodations for a layout will be considered.

mtrails
08-21-2005, 01:25 AM
I model BN on a small HO layout. It's my first layout, and doesn't have much to offer in operations, but has some scenic value. The layout is still under construction, and I have a few pics on a webpage if anyone is interested.

From the kitchen sink, I can look through an ex-exterior window opening and see the layout while washing dishes (see tupperware on the sill on the left). I think the layout makes better background viewing than a dining set!

http://www.geocities.com/montana_rails/bn1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/montana_rails/trainlayout.html

bnsf sammy
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
only one pic works on my comp

mtrails
08-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Since my webpage is free, it's only allowed a maximum amount of data transfer, so you probably caught it at a time after having been viewed to it's maximum (including my making sure the webpage was working properly). Try again in a few hours or tomorrow, it should load all photos. Thanks for looking!

trainmonster
08-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Used to be-it's a rich man's hobby now.

Rich

Robby
08-24-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm a big fan of HO myself. The current layout is 20'x40' triple deck connected by helix and based on the former L&N's EK Sub. With a pending move coming in a few months, I'll be starting over and designing a new pike based on the L&N's CV Sub between Corbin and Loyall set in 1979. Lot's of work coming up.....

Robby

(Here's two loaded mine runs meeting at Typo, Ky on the lower level. Loads in both directions is very common in this area)

bnsf sammy
08-24-2005, 02:45 AM
heres a picture of my 6x4 layout.

nsnscalerailfan
08-24-2005, 04:49 AM
I have a 18 by 12, L shaped N scale layout (basically a 12 by 4 and a 14 by 5). It is loosely based, although some areas are prototypical (or at least will be), on NS and CSX in the region I often railfan. I try to model particular trains and such, I run em up to about 50 to 60 cars (the advantage of N scale!). I'm just starting scenery though now so it's a major work in progress.

dodi4200
08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
iam modelling egyptian locos from apaper called NASEBIAN then i modeled theEMD SD70M after that i began from the first of this summer to model in ho scale and i have finished 4 hoppers cars in ho scale line the L&N ones.
im also began to design new locos and i have finished anew design for a 2cab locos and i called it CAIRO1.
also i found that modelling in ho scale is hard but really its more interesting specially that iam build all the parts myself then glue it together.
note:my models are static ones :D

iktomi
08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I am a modeller from Holland and building a garden railroad G-Gauge, LGB and USA-Trains, many things i am bying in Holland some times in Germany, thinking about to get them right from the USA. Form the G-Gauge there are 4 shops where you can get them only not every shop has USA-Trains and that is a big problem.

jmp883
09-08-2005, 06:28 AM
I've been into model trains since I got my first train set at age 6. That set was a Tyco HO scale set with a Burlington Route GP-20. Stayed in HO from that point on until about 10 years ago when I switched to N. My N-scale layout isn't anywhere as big as my HO layouts were but it's enough to keep my interest going. Click on this link to go to my little slice of the world:

http://www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29/WanaqueValleyRR.html

cwwrman
12-17-2005, 02:19 AM
I have been an N scaler since 1979 when I was 4 yrs old. My dad and I built a 8X12 foot portable layout that we take to shows around the Seattle area. I also have a layout I am building at my house which right now is 5X6 that connects to my dads layout at shows to make a total size of 17X8. I have plans drawn up to expand my layout now since I have a house to fill one room that is 10X11 and also plans to build an exact scale replica of a small town near where I grew up as a kid that will be in my office. That section will be 9'6"X1'. The majority of the operations will be switching of general freight into the port (which will have a car barge) and lumber which will be hauled from the small town in my office which had 4 mills during the 1970's and produced roughly 80 car trains daily! Talk about a switchermans dream!

Chris Kilroy
12-17-2005, 03:45 AM
Wow, there are some very, very nicely done model railroads in this thread!

I used to be pretty heavily into model railroading when I was younger, but fell out of the hobby when I turned my attention to aviation and flight training.

I live in a condo in Vegas, currently, but once I start house hunting over the next few months, provisions will be made for a nice big basement to put something together in HO scale!

StL-rail
12-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm currently rebuilding my 4x8 layout with two levels . . .
I model two fictional RRs, the regional Cape Northern and the shortline Missouri Valley RR. The layout is in shambles right now, so here's some previous stuff . . .

StL-rail
12-17-2005, 07:33 AM
This was done on a small diaroma I built, I guess I really do like night photography :D . . . This is MVRR 5 pulling through the outskirts of Coloma, MO.

Colin Voss
12-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't have a model train world (just for planes, but that's another site), but I have at least 5 large boxes full of H0-stuff, mostly tracks, but also lots of buildings and all the stuff. Plus, I have the luck of living the city that is home to the world's largest model railroad world (Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg); 1.000 trains with 15.000 waggons, controlled by 60 computers, 300 driving cars, 200.000 lights, etc. If you have only the slightest interest in model railroads, you gotta visit this 'Wunderland'.

Christopher Muller
12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Used to be-it's a rich man's hobby now.

Rich

It's getting closer to it! Seems the price goes up each year, much higher than my wage goes up!

U-3-b
12-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I got my first Lionel set (second hand) from a cousin for Christmas when I was 7 and collected Lionel all through mine teen years. I would build huge layouts in my parentís basement only to have to tear them down when they needed the room. I switched to HO when I was 20 and have been collecting for years waiting to live in a house with a basement and once I even did, but since I work for Uncle Sam I end up moving every three or four years and I donít feel I should invest a lot time in building a layout that I may or may not be able to move. So I watch trains, which I have always done, take photos every once in a while and have to be content with that.

One of things that I have found to be funny with this hobby is that items I saw for sale 20 years ago that were too much then, are still around and are too much, but a least I am not a poor college student anymore and I do have some money to try to get them.

Ween
12-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I model two fictional RRs

John, if you want a third fictional railraod, try the CSX on the ex-B&O sub to E. St. Louis...now that's a fictional railroad!!!

busyEMT
12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
John, if you want a third fictional railraod, try the CSX on the ex-B&O sub to E. St. Louis...now that's a fictional railroad!!!

I would have expected maybe a "any UP line that moves freight" comment from you Ween!

Ween
12-18-2005, 04:58 AM
I would have expected maybe a "any UP line that moves freight" comment from you Ween!

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

4kV
12-18-2005, 05:17 AM
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Here's another ficticious railroad. And please, let's not get into an in depth analysis as to whether this is real or not, like the thread about the Union Pacific KC-135 picture.

busyEMT
12-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Here's another ficticious railroad. And please, let's not get into an in depth analysis as to whether this is real or not, like the thread about the Union Pacific KC-135 picture.

It sure is dirty enough. Try a little more smokestack black and a matte finish.

Ru1056
12-19-2005, 04:15 PM

I am just curious as to "WTFWDD"? means over the conductors numberboard.

I can guess the first three, but this being a family site and all.....

StL-rail
12-19-2005, 07:31 PM

Obviously the first three are "What the f**k" and the last three are "would Dave do" for the full statement of "What the f**k would Dave do?" which is a long running joke Pat and I, along with a couple other people, have with an engineer friend of ours.

4kV
12-22-2005, 01:27 PM

It's something I started with another friend of mine several years ago. This is along the lines of the "What Would Jesus Do" bumper stickers that say "WWJD." We were both driving behind a vehicle with a WWJD sticker on it, and immediately said "WWDD," in reference to a friend named Dave? A second later, to make it more appropriately Davesque, we added a few letters which, as you mentioned, stand for some non family style words. We now have WTFWDD bumper stickers and car magnets that we pass out to people who care to put them on their car, mainly people who know Dave. It's not funny otherwise, of course. The guy who photoshopped this picture likes to covertly place WTFWDDs on many of his photoshopped pictures.