PDA

View Full Version : Train Schedule

kfleeman
05-31-2005, 05:11 AM
I was wondering, are most trains on a certain weekly schedule? Say if a mixed freight comes through at 5:05 pm on saturday is there a good chance that next saturday that train will run through again around that time?

cmherndon
05-31-2005, 05:39 AM
Most freight trains don't really run on a set schedule. If the same train was seen again a week later at the same time, it's probably just a coincidence. Usually, trains will run in the same time frame (morning, afternoon, etc.). For example, around here 111 and 23G usually run around mid afternoon and about 30 minutes or so apart. However, this can vary with either or both trains running earlier or later.

Ru1056
05-31-2005, 09:41 AM
It really depends on the railroad. We have a shortline here in Indiana that you could almost set your watch by. On the same token, the Class 1 through Indy is really unpredictable.

I am sure a schedule is made, but the first hotbox or wheel on the ground will pretty much resemble the scene in "Naked Gun 2.5" where Leslie Nielson drops his hard hat into the machine the scientests are working on in the lab. Chaos will abound.

4kV
05-31-2005, 02:49 PM
There are so many factors that can contribute to delays, it's hard to pin down a certain time trains will pass a certain location. Ideally they have the same call time each day, at least for scheduled freights, as opposed to trains like coal trains, grain trains, extras, etc. Caleb said it best by generalizing a time of day. There are some trains around STL that seem to run generally the same time of day. Being in a location near a train's departure is probably going to get you better results than in a location near a train's arrival. Anything departing STL on time will probably go by locations near STL on time, whereas something coming from the west coast has four days worth of delays, and by the time it gets here, it could show up almost any time. I can also site many examples where a train originating on, say, the 15th of the month, comes in before the same train that originated on the 14th of the month.

Take a look at my 60 hour train watch report in the trip section here in the forum. Compare trains that run every day, and see what time they come in. If you look at the MNLAS trains on the list, they were pretty consistent, one each morning around the same time. Others seemed quite erratic. This, of course, does not include coal trains, which run any time, on no set schedule. But, it is interesting to note that some of the coal trains coming north out of southern Illinois were up to nine days old already, such as train #60 on the list. It looks like they were sitting for quite some time somewhere.

cmherndon
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I am sure a schedule is made, but the first hotbox or wheel on the ground will pretty much resemble the scene in "Naked Gun 2.5" where Leslie Nielson drops his hard hat into the machine the scientests are working on in the lab. Chaos will abound.

:lol: How true! When 22A went on the ground last year near Shelbyville, I believe NS was holding trains west of Princeton, and maybe even in St. Louis! Not only that, but I think they were holding trains out of Chattanooga too.

Also, a while back, there were two 284's in Danville at the same time, one originating on like the 20th or the 21st and the other the day after. What happened was that the first went on the ground somewhere in "Jawjuh" (Atlanta, maybe?). There was talk about combining the two at Danville, but a 17,000 foot train over on this line is just asking for a broken knuckle. Besides, the longest siding is 11,632 feet long. They ran the trains separately, and confused the dispatcher for a moment. That sort of thing just happens every now and then.

Save The Wave
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
CSX isn't accurate down to the minute (or even hour for that matter), but in a given day you have a pretty good idea of what trains you can catch.
Around here Q265, Q121, Q124, Q595, Q514, & Q596 are consistent morning trains while Q515, Q597, Q120, Q129, Q124, Q244, Q592 are amongst the evening allotment. V, G, T and K trains are all over the place.
I have also heard of two V249's, two T101's and two Q204's (when they ran through here) in the yard at the same time. At one point, Q204 was sent with the incorrect manifest and had to be stopped and the paperwork delivered to it.
If you're in a CSX territory, the bullsheet has a pretty thorough schedule posted. http://www.bullsheet.com/FreightMenu.html

I printed out all of the ones that pass through Evansville and carry them in a folder when train hunting.