PDA

View Full Version : Database of digital photos

jlg759
06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Anyone have a dataase they are using to list their photos? I am also looking for a program to log sightings of trains I have seen.

cmherndon
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't use anything to list my photos, but as far as train sightings, I've been using the MS Works Database. I think it's up to a little over 1000 entries now.

Joe the Photog
06-02-2005, 01:03 AM
I need to get a list together and I am "working" on that. Right now, I try to name the shots something easy to remember. For instance, if I shoot a CSX train, it might be named something like

csx7500waxhaw2030

The 7500 is the IMG number out of the camera. Waxhaw is where the shot is taken and 2030 is the size. My 300D cameras largest jpeg is 20X30 roughly without any cropping. So this would be the shot I save after doing some post processing. An image saved from this file for Railpictures would be

csx7500waxhaw1024

the 1024 being the width of the shot.

At least that's what I'm using now. I could change my mind tomorrow.

Joe

railfanzone
06-02-2005, 01:37 AM
For my slides, I just used an Excel spreadsheet. It was easy to generate labels off of the data that I could just slap on the slide mount. Now that I'm shooting digital, I just name each directory like this:

yyyy-mm-dd - Description

And under that is all the RAW & TIFF files. Under that I'll put a web subfolder for everything sized for the web.

busyEMT
06-02-2005, 03:09 AM
I can't seem to get a handle of how databases work, I have spent weeks playing with tutorials and the free mskd thing from the net.

I just move the shots from my camera into folders labelled with the date. Inside I convert the images to TIFFs and when I crop, size and lighten up the photo, I simply label them like bnsf1523_052905.jpg and if there are multiples of the same unit, I add a letter after the date.

Let us know if you discover some great database (freeware or cheapware) program.