PDA

View Full Version : June 2nd, 2005 on the BNSF Chilli Sub

Slopes09
06-08-2005, 05:16 AM
It was the 2nd of June, I had gotten out of school the day before, and I wanted to do something. Failing to find anybody to go with, I got on my bike and pedaled out toward Lemont. Mistakenly thinking I heard the local on the scanner(I'm still new at interpretting what I hear), I trekked across the Lemont bridge and up a road only to discover about 50 feet before the tracks of the Woodridge/Romeoville branch a gate for Argonne National Labratory. Seeing and hearing no train, I decided it best not to trespass on government property. I turned around and headed back into Lemont, where I spied on the BNSF tracks, a warning of an impending slow order, which little did I know, would leave me bored out of my mind for a good part of the day. I pedaled up the I&M Canal Trail to its end and set up my tripod. Then I began to wait, letting the June midday sun blare down on me while I sat in prairie grasses to the dismay of my allergies. While I waited, a BNSF maintnence crew arrived and began working on one of the telephone pole thingeys(great vocab here). I think they were wondering what the heck I was doing sitting out there. Finally though after waiting 45 minutes, I was rewarded. An westbound led by a brand new ES44DC in H3 paint came past, followed shortly thereafter by an eastbound. Then just as I was just about to change spots, I heard the gates go down and CSX 76 west came by. From no trains in 45 minutes to 3 in 5 minutes, just goes to show you how unpredictable the Chilli is though. I pedaled back down the trail to a new photo location. After a much shorter wait (maybe 15 or 20 minutes), I was again rewarded by a manifest led by two ATSF bluebonnets and unit in BN green. After that I pedaled home and got and ICEE and a Whopper on the home. :grin:
For photos check here (http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6769) .

dodi4200
06-08-2005, 08:01 AM
nice report man yur area where u were in is like my area too in egypt no trains for about 45-60 min then about 3or 4 trains in 5min:D
and nice pix too but notice u should make the all units appear in the pic the pic #5 and 7 you should make the csx GE unit appear in the pic and also the unit of BN in the pic #7
wish u agood time and trains all the time :D
mohamed

ssw9662
06-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Eek, a swoosh! :shock:

Nice report and pics.