PDA

View Full Version : Is it that bad?

RCSD505
06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
This photo was rejected for "Poor lighting (Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.)"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=135923

I know it's a common angle wedgie roster shot, but I personally think it's fairly well lit. I just wanted a few opinions before I decided to appeal it or not.

bnsf sammy
06-14-2005, 12:06 AM
well, the trucks are pretty dark...thats what normally doesnt get accepted, if the trucks are dark

Ru1056
06-14-2005, 12:29 AM
I think you will find that a sunny day shot of this same loco will me much more vibrant. If you can catch this again during full sun (could be hard, I know), I would submit that one.

trainmonster
06-14-2005, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=RCSD505]This photo was rejected for "Poor lighting (Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.)"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=135923QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!! :eek: :lol: :eek: Like a C-636 is "common power!" It's an Alco, get with the program!

I think it's a good shot-I'm in central Pa. so good luck getting sun... so no, it's not that bad! So whether they accept it or not, you got a good one. C-636 is the ultimate Locomotive for Real Men! (look in OT forum for my thread)

Sometimes I prefer cloudy shots for the nice even lighting without having to mess around with sun angles, etc. If I was gonna do anything with this shot, I'd crop out some of the bottom and add more sky while keeping it proportional.

Rich

ccaranna
06-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Wow, a C636! Not exactly something you see everyday. These days IMOP, an SD60 isn't common power if you watch the NS.

I'd try to appeal that and get down on your hands and knees and plead your case on that one.

Yeah, it might be a tinge on the dark side, but it's an ALCO, FCOL! Gee, I think they're not in business anymore the last time I checked...could be wrong on that one. :roll:

RCSD505
06-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately that angle was about the best I could do with the unit. It was parked halfway onto a bridge and I walked out onto the bridge to get a photo of it. I live about 650 miles away from the D-L so getting another photo of it is out of the question also. This trip to Scranton was my first and also more than likely my last unless I get a helicopter (If you have ever played Sim City 3000 and cut off the Road Work budget you know what I mean :mad: ).

ssw9662
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
LOL, the roads are not that bad in Scranton, I don't know what particular roads you are on though.

Great shot, but the trucks are kind of dark. I have noticed from looking at photos that the Hi Ad truck on some 4 and 6 axle Alcos is hard to get good lighting with (Probably because of all the crud hanging off the sideframes). Also, I have noticed that come summer, and the screeners go on a rampage rejecting pics for Poor Lighting. ;-)

cmherndon
06-14-2005, 04:26 AM
This photo was rejected for "Poor lighting (Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.)"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=135923

Not only that, but it does look a tad on the soft side. There is a little bit of sun on it, but the lighting still looks pretty marginal. Yes it's an Alco, but it's still a roster shot.

brunswickrailfan
06-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Caleb...I just love your Avatar.

KILL THE WRABBIT!

mtrails
06-15-2005, 11:29 PM
I played with the photo a little, and with some sharpening, gamma correction, and saturation adjustments, the photo was lit a little better. I also viewed the photo in black/white, but like it in color better, though BW helps the photo by evening out the lighting, and distracts from the cloudy sky.

[QUOTE=trainmonster]Sometimes I prefer cloudy shots for the nice even lighting without having to mess around with sun angles, etc. If I was gonna do anything with this shot, I'd crop out some of the bottom and add more sky while keeping it proportional.[QUOTE]

I agree with the cropping suggestion. I also took tad off from in front of the loco, and setting the right marging down the middle of the conductor's window of the trailing loco.