PDA

View Full Version : Wrong place.... wrong time.

mojo628
09-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Everybody has to pay attention when around the tracks.

September 24, 2003 - Washington (MO) Missourian:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10214557&BRD=1409&PAG=461&dept_id=33071&rfi=6

Railroad Worker Hit By Train

A Union Pacific Railroad worker sustained hand and shoulder injuries Tuesday in an accident
involving an Amtrak passenger train between Berger and New Haven in the Etlah Bottoms area, the
sheriff's office reported.

The victim was identified as Curtis Burrows, 44, Bentonville, Ark.

It is not believed the injuries were life-threatening, according to the sheriff's office.

The accident happened at approximately 12:30 p.m. According to the railroad employees, when a train
approaches a work area, the engineer contacts the workers by radio and asks permission to pass the
area. In this situation, workers said train personnel were given permission to enter the work area.
Burrows, however, did not have his portable radio with him and did not hear the call.

As the train approached, Burrows did not see it until the last minute, and was caught between the
train and a piece of equipment. The train struck the worker's hand and also caused injury to his
shoulder, the sheriff's office said.

He was removed from the accident scene by other workers and taken to a location where he was picked
up by ambulance and transported to St. John's Mercy Hospital for treatment. It is not known if he
was admitted or released.

Personnel on the train were not aware of the accident, according to the report.

Guilford350
09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Working around trains can be very dangerous, especially if you do track work/maintenance. Hopefully, he's allright and has no life threatning injuries.

On a side note, I know someone who lost an arm because of a train related accident. He worked for the B&M as a brakeman back the 1950's and 60's.

iCe
09-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Ouch. Thankfully he survived.

Bob
09-26-2003, 02:30 AM
At a VERY early age, 5 yrs. or so, my dad taught me the same thing his dad had taught him many years earlier. That is this: "ALWAYS expect a train on any track, at any time, from any direction."

iCe
09-26-2003, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised at how quiet trains can be. Once while looking through binoculars in one direction of the tracks, I suddenly hear some noise behind me and turn around. To my surprise, a train was approaching me from less than 100 feet away. :shock: