PDA

View Full Version : KCS Green Goat

ssw9662
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Looks pretty cool to me, the only thing I don't really like is the number font, it looks too much like UP's to me (not that I don't like UP).

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=144350

BNSF_SD40-2B
06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah!! BNSF's 2 new Green Goats(now in H1) have the UP-style numbers on the numberboard.

Pat Lorenz
06-21-2005, 10:29 PM
That looks really nice, i really like the whole concept of the Green Goat, i like the fact that the company is taking scrapped or soon to be scrapped locomotives and completley renovating them into a new, more effeicent hybird. I wish all the yards across america would have a fleet of goats! Just dont put them on the mainline!

J
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
PR NEWSWIRE
Union Pacific Announces Project to Reduce Diesel Emissions in Texas Over 10 Years
Friday October 14, 8:49 am ET
Project will introduce low-emission, fuel-efficient locomotives in Houston/Galveston, Dallas/Ft. Worth and San Antonio
OMAHA, Neb., Oct. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Union Pacific Railroad announced today a project to help reduce nitrogen oxide emissions in Texas over the next 10 years by introducing low-emission, fuel-efficient locomotives for yard operations in Houston/Galveston, Dallas/Ft. Worth and San Antonio. With the assistance of an incentive from the state of Texas to help improve air quality in the state, Union Pacific's plan will introduce 111 new technology locomotives in 2006 and 2007. These locomotives are expected to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 80 percent while using as much as 40 percent less fuel.
"Our new low-emission yard locomotives are the next chapter in Union Pacific's voluntary efforts to reduce emissions," said Bob Grimaila, Union Pacific's vice president-environment and safety. "We have worked hard to build the most environmentally friendly locomotive fleet in North America, and we are committed to preserving our environment by reducing pollution."
Ninety-eight of these low-emission rail yard locomotives, called the "Generator-Set," or "Gen-Set," switchers, will be built by RailPower Technologies Corp. The units are powered by two or three state-of-the-art small diesel engines commonly used in over-the-road trucks. Each engine turns a generator that produces electricity for motors connected to the axles of the locomotive wheels.
The two or three 700-horsepower engines used to turn the electric generators in these low-emission locomotives are projected to achieve up to an 80 percent reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions. The two-engine models are hybrid locomotives, operating both on the twin diesel engines and a bank of batteries that provides additional power.
Union Pacific began studies and tests of a Gen-Set switcher locomotive in 2002. UP's purchase order with RailPower calls for delivery of 80 triple Gen- Set road switchers and 18 twin Gen-Set road switchers.
The incentive grant also allowed for the purchase of 13 MP20B-3 low- emission switchers from Motive Power Industries, which are powered by 2,000- horsepower Caterpillar engines.
By mid-2007, Union Pacific will introduce the new locomotives as follows:
* 56 units in Houston
* 46 units in Dallas/Ft. Worth
* 9 units in San Antonio
With more than 7,000 locomotives, Union Pacific continues to strengthen the nation's most environmentally friendly fleet. Since January 2000, the railroad has acquired more than 2,000 new fuel-efficient locomotives that comply with stricter EPA standards, and has retrofitted more than 1,000 of its older locomotives to meet the higher standards. During the same period, 1,300 older locomotives were retired.
During 2005, the railroad acquired more than 300 of the newest, technologically advanced low-emission road locomotives manufactured for heavy freight hauling. These new locomotives meet or exceed current EPA requirements for reduced exhaust emissions and have approximately 60 percent lower emissions of nitrogen oxides and 65 percent lower emissions of particulates than units built prior to 2000.

CG_F45
10-18-2005, 12:45 AM
I like those green goats, I have seen photos of them in UP BNSF and now KCS, and must sya they look cool 8-) looks kinda like a tugboat :) I have yet to see one in person... WHERE ARE THEY???

SD70MACMAN
10-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Those are some spiffy looking units. And environmentally friendly da boot! What is with the UP-style numbers on the side? Oh boy.

J
10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I have yet to see one in person... WHERE ARE THEY??? These are still pretty scarce but as you can see they'll become a lot more common soon. Until this big order, railroads were either testing a demonstrator unit or bought only one or two for long term testing.

Frederick
10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
In June or so, I saw a freshly painted KCS green goat. It must've been coming from RailPower (or whatever it was) in Vancouver. I spotted it at Nashua, Minnesota near the North Dakota border.

My first impression was 'WTF?'

Ru1056
10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Makes me curious as to what the next generation 4 axle unit will be? (If any) If the Green Goat goes over well, will there be a similiar design?

ssw9662
10-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't know what the next switcher will be, but with today's skyrocketing fuel costs and strict emissions standards, I would not at all be suprised if these battery powered units become the sucessor to diesels. Could be wrong though.

University of Kentucky, Indianapolis Colts, and Conrail. Proof things in blue and white are just better.

Add to that Penn State!

cmherndon
10-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Makes me curious as to what the next generation 4 axle unit will be? (If any)

Good question. Seeing as there have been pretty much no orders for 4 axle road units (aside from Amtrak) in the past 15 years or so, it makes me wonder if there's really gonna be a market for second hand hi-adhesion 6 axle power. Also, what about yard/local power? The Green Goat is obviously good for yard power, but how about on the mainline?

Add to that Penn State!

Indianapolis = Royal Blue and White
University of Kentucky = Royal Blue and White
Conrail = Royal Blue and White
Penn State = Navy Blue and White...Doesn't seem to fit in there. ;)

J
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Green Goat Update
Tue November 1, 2005 19:26 EST

Railpower reports Q3 loss of $7.2M, compared with $4.4M loss year ago
VANCOUVER (CP) _ Railpower Technologies Corp. reported a loss of $7.2 million, compared with $4.4 million a year ago, as the company ramped up production of its environmentally friendly locomotives.
The Vancouver-based company said Tuesday the loss amounted to 17 cents per share for the three months ended Sept. 30, compared with 14 cents per share in the same period last year.
Sales in the quarter reached $6.2 million, compared with no sales reported a year ago.
``During the third quarter we introduced into production our latest designs for our yard locomotives and for our pre-production road switcher locomotives,'' said Jim Maier, Railpower's president and CEO.
``We also moved to a common locomotive architecture which will ensure maximum commonality of components across our entire product range.''
At Sept. 30, Railpower had cash and cash equivalents of $28.5 million.
Railpower signed in October to sell 98 of its hybrid locomotives to Union Pacific Railroad for use in the U.S. railway's Texas operations, the biggest deal so far for the company.
Railpower said Union Pacific will use $81 million US it was awarded recently by the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan toward the purchase of the energy-efficient vehicles.
The locomotives are designed to reduce fuel usage in road and branchline switching operations where locomotives use up to three times the amount consumed by yard switchers.
Union Pacific Railroad, owned by Union Pacific Corp., is the largest railway in North America, covering 23 states across the western two-thirds of the United States.
Railpower had scored a number of smaller orders over the past year, but the Union Pacific agreement was the largest for the company so far.
In March, the Canadian Pacific Railway said it would buy as many as 35 hybrid locomotives from Railpower over a four-year period.
Under the agreement, seven of CPR's yard locomotives will be converted this year to low-emission Green Goat Series locomotives using hybrid technology for use at its Calgary operations. Another 28 locomotives will be converted into Green Goats over the following three years if the hybrids meet performance guarantees.
Railpower shares (TSX:P) were up 13 cents at $5.20 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Tuesday.