PDA

View Full Version : headlight question on photo

bnsf sammy
06-23-2005, 02:05 AM
On this photo,
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=91839
is the headlight burned out so only the ditch lights work, or, is there a way to only put the ditch lights on?

E3429
06-23-2005, 04:16 AM
I know some of the ditchlights are activated when the horn sounds, but am guessing they can turn them on or off independently on the 'newer' models. There's any number of reasons why that one might not have his headlight on, including being burnt out. I've had approaching trains turn their lights off before when they saw me taking a picture. Doesn't happen alot, though. Unless someone was on the crew of that one or heard something about it on the scanner, not sure if you'd get the real reason.

Super2000
06-23-2005, 05:23 AM
I've seen the reverse - headlight on, ditch lights off. I've also seen one UP train where the ditch lights were blinking. I guess they're on independent switches.

Joe
06-23-2005, 03:02 PM
When the lights are turned on "dim" the ditch lights turn off and the headlit dims. I really don't know what the purpose of a seperate switch for each set of lights would be, though. I s'pose that a switch like this might exist, though.

dodi4200
06-23-2005, 04:16 PM
yea sure every thing in locomotive have its own independent switch as i saw i here in the cab of the egyptian locos so i think that most of the american locos have independent switchs for lights also all over the world.
mohamed :D

bnsf sammy
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
when a train is in reverse, only the DPU light, or headlight dimmed should be on. When the headlight dims, the ditch lights should go off. I think the best explanation is that the headlight has burned out, because why would an engineer, under normal runnning, only have the ditchlights on? It seems more practical to only have the headlight on..but not if it's burned out!

dodi4200
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
i think that the headlights were turned off wanna know why? :D
i think that all over the world any train mustnot leave the yard without afull check i mean that the whole train must be examined before leaving any yard so if these headlights were burned out i think that the repaire crew will immediatly repaire it right?
may be im wrong whose know :lol:

bnsf sammy
06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
well, considering this is a local train, there might have not been any power to replace it, since all the big locos go on the big trains. The 2nd engine is reversed, so it cant be lead. i still think that the headlight is burned out...anyone differ? :shock:

BNSF_SD40-2B
06-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I've seen this before on a BNSF SD40-2. I am pretty sure the headlight is burned out.

E3429
06-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Did you follow it for a long period of time and not see it on at all?

BNSF_SD40-2B
06-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Did you follow it for a long period of time and not see it on at all?

I didn't follow it but i did see another picture of it on another website with the light still burned out.This engine was BNSF 6837.

I also saw a DRGW SD40T-2 on this website with it's headlight out.

cmherndon
06-24-2005, 03:40 AM
The 2nd engine is reversed, so it cant be lead.

And why not? Surely the locomotive is set up to be operated in either direction.

As far as the headlight is concerned, it could be burnt out or someone just forgot to turn it on. If it's burnt out, then I'm sure there's something in the rules and regulations that will allow a train to continue onto the next terminal where said defect can be repaired.

E3429
06-24-2005, 03:56 AM
And why not? Surely the locomotive is set up to be operated in either direction.

As far as the headlight is concerned, it could be burnt out or someone just forgot to turn it on. If it's burnt out, then I'm sure there's something in the rules and regulations that will allow a train to continue onto the next terminal where said defect can be repaired.

Exactly. It's not that huge of a deal.

BNSF_SD40-2B
06-24-2005, 03:56 AM
I have a BNSF Locomotive book that lists where surtain engines are assigned to surtain Shops for repair.It might be that an engine had a light burn out away from the shop it is assigned to and is making its way toward the shop for maintenance.The one I saw was BNSF 6837 and it was headed west on a manifest train.It shows in my book that BNSF 6837 is assigned to Minneapolis (Northtown),Minnesota and it was on a the line that goes through Northtown.For BNSF 563 that engine is assigned Kansas City,Kansas and Galesburg,Illinois.I dont know why it's assigned to 2 shops.

Ru1056
06-24-2005, 04:01 AM
Must be slow somewhere. 13 replies on a discussion about a headlight.

4kV
06-24-2005, 05:41 AM
I have a BNSF Locomotive book that lists where surtain engines are assigned to surtain Shops for repair.

For something as minor as a headlight, you would not need to go to the assigned shop for repair. Any carman at any terminal should be able to stick a new bulb in. It happens all the time in Dupo on the UP.

As for as the rules concerning operating, here is what an engineer told me concerning headlight failure. Of course, that does not explain this picture specifically....

"Specifically, here is what the GCOR rule states:

5.9.3: Headlight Failure

If the headlight on the train fails, ditch lights must be on, when so equipped. Headlight failure must be reported to the train dispatcher.

At night, if the headlight and ditch lights fail to operate and no other unit can be used as the lead unit, continue movement with a white light displayed on the lead unit. Stop the train before each public crossing, so a crew member on the ground can provide warning until the crossing is occupied, unless:

* Crossing gates are in the fully lowered position.

or

* No traffic is approaching or stopped at the crossing. "

Super2000
06-24-2005, 02:41 PM
http://img250.exs.cx/img250/1102/4570b9ht.th.jpg (http://img250.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img250&image=4570b9ht.jpg)

This UP train had its headlights on and ditch lights off. Maybe he dimmed his lights for another train and forgot to turn them back on.

Joe
06-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Yep, sometimes engineers around here forget to turn their ditch lights back on after a meet.

ssw9662
06-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I've seen trains run on main lines with the cab lights dimmed and the ditchlights off. I guess the crew never remember to turn them back on.

bnsf sammy
06-24-2005, 10:19 PM
that or they are meeting a train, and dimming their lights for that

ssw9662
06-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Nope, it was a westbound on double track, though they were running around another train and were running on the #2 (Eastbound) track, so they could have done it for that.

Ween
06-25-2005, 12:07 AM
[photoid=66678]

I even remarked about this guy forgetting to turn on his lights...

busyEMT
06-26-2005, 03:22 AM
i think that all over the world any train mustnot leave the yard without afull check i mean that the whole train must be examined before leaving any yard so if these headlights were burned out i think that the repaire crew will immediatly repaire it right?

[photoid=42075]