PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of New Rebel Digital

mojo628
09-28-2003, 05:49 PM
So what's the opinion of the digital experts out there on the new Canon Rebel digital SLR compared to the Canon 10D SLR?

Robert28
09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
This could be good for those of us that would like to go digital but are choking on the price. :)

Robert

iCe
09-28-2003, 08:01 PM
too bad either one costs too much for me :( :twisted:

Curtis Wininger
09-28-2003, 08:22 PM
It looks like it is a really nice camera. I used a Rebel 2000 until I bought my 10D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

mu23
09-29-2003, 08:12 AM
"The 300D (Rebel), to me, is a mass-market 10D, and what's a 10D? A digital 10S. So, okay. (Cover your mouth when you yawn like that.)"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/08242003.html

mojo628
10-09-2003, 04:08 AM
Well I went and did it. I stepped up and bought a Canon Rebel Digital. Check out a few pics with the new toy. :D

Sunset in Memphis
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=34774

UP waiting for a crew
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=34671

Ex-Conrail
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=34669

AAPRCO in town
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=34604

iCe
10-09-2003, 04:36 AM
awesome photos! looks like a great camera! :)

Guilford350
10-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Great photos! Crisp and clean with true colors, that makes for a nice camera. :)

Chris Starnes
10-15-2003, 03:28 PM
For anyone interested, there is a good article in Popular Photography this month on the new Digital Rebel. You can find this magazine on just about any bookstore shelf. If anyone is looking at buying one of these, it would definately be worth reading.

CTS

Bob
10-21-2003, 10:29 PM
No doubt about it, Canon makes great equipment. For my money, I'll wait for the Olympus E1, which is due any day now.
The E1 is a comprehensive SLR interchangeable lens system that is built from the ground up to be digital in the fullest sense of the word , and uses the 4/3's format, that is, the image sensor is 4 units wide by 3 units high. The lenses are digital specific and will unclude a 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 (35mm eq. 28-108 mm), 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 (35mm eq. 100-400 mm), 50 mm f/2.0 1:2 macro (35 eq. 100 mm), 300 f/2.8 (35 eq. 600 mm), a 1.4 tele-converter, flash, and a battery holder acc.
Can't wait to get my eye behind one!

Bob
10-21-2003, 10:31 PM
No doubt about it, Canon makes great equipment. For my money, I'll wait for the Olympus E1, which is due any day now.
The E1 is a comprehensive SLR interchangeable lens system that is built from the ground up to be digital in the fullest sense of the word , and uses the 4/3's format, that is, the image sensor is 4 units wide by 3 units high. The lenses are digital specific and will unclude a 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 (35mm eq. 28-108 mm), 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 (35mm eq. 100-400 mm), 50 mm f/2.0 1:2 macro (35 eq. 100 mm), 300 f/2.8 (35 eq. 600 mm), a 1.4 tele-converter, flash, and a battery holder acc.
Can't wait to get my eye behind one!

Stan Jackowski
11-17-2003, 12:19 AM
I started with a Kodak 3400, then progressed to Nikon with the Coolpix 995. I now use a Canon EOS Rebel 300D and love it. I've uploade some of the newer shots here in the last week taken by the Canon. I've only shot about 40 views so far and love it.
I really like the SLR feature and lens interchangablity of the camera. It came with the 18-55mm lens but have on loan a Canon 75-300mm. To get the 35mm equiviliant you multiply it times 1.6.
The bad thing is I have 2 Nikon 35mm cameras, an FE-2 and 8008 with lenses for Nikon but no extra lenses yet for the Canon.
The camera takes great shots and so far haven't had to work them over in photo software to get things right like exposure or color. just resizing for web purposes.
Stan Jackowski

PS
I have now shot almost 200 views and really love the Digital Rebel. For Christmas I purchased a Tamron 28-200 Super Zoom and with the 1.6 aspect of the Rebel its like a 44-320mm lens. Shot about 40 shots this weekend in Folkston, GA and had excellent results. Loving it more and more each day.

bitburger
11-17-2003, 12:53 AM
The Digital Rebel is on #1 on my wishlist, if i had the money here i would immediately go and buy it...
I think its just the best value for your money, good equipment, good pictures and a good price for a digital SLR.
I've seen many people doing a great job with this camera, so why not go and get one myself?
And i will get one when i have the money together :)
But I will still keep my A70 because i think it's also a great cam and can be used for other porpuses.

Greets bitburger

Save The Wave
11-29-2003, 02:15 AM
As a long time Pentax user I was waiting for the *ist D to come out. When it finally did I got sticker shock!
I ended up purchasing the Digital Rebel kit and a 75-300 USM lens and was still $500 below what the Pentax body would have cost.
The DR is a great camera for the money. Unfortunately I cannot compare it to the 10D because I have never used the that camera. My only complaint with the DR is not being able to use the LCD as a viewfinder. Other than that it is a very worthy camera.

willie6622
11-29-2003, 10:16 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on one. I just bought a 35mm rebel a few months ago, and wish I would have waited on this one. I'm really thinking of selling off some of my "toys" to buy the digital rebel. On the other hand, I hear that little voice in my head telling me to wait, because I think there will probably be an even better camera announced, or the price will come down after Christmas. It seems in the digital camera world every 4 to 6 months there is a new camera announced, and the prices keep coming down on existing models.

mu23
01-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I bought a Sony F717 sometime back and love the thing. When they announced the 828, I put myself on the waiting list, "Be one of the first", it said. When they came in, Sony shipped them to the retailers over many of those on the waiting list. So I canceled the 828 and bought a Rebel instead. Am I pleased with the Rebel? Yes. Is it better than a 717/828? No, it's different. They are both good cameras. Here's my first impressions on what's the difference.
Sony has a fixed lens but it is a very versatile one. Canon has interchangeable lenses, but it will cost you more money to get to where the Sony is out of the box. Sony has Nightshot. Rebel has better noise reduction. You can use the screen on the back of the 717/828 as a viewfinder and it will give you a decent idea of how the settings will affect the result. Rebel has a depth of field preview. Sony lens is Zeis (sp?) - great! Canon lens is Canon, or anything you want - greater! Rebel is SLR. Sony shoots too blue/cyan. Rebel shoots too yellow/orange. F717 sounds too much like an airplane. "Rebel" is an outrageous comodification for such a conventional camera. Both companies delight in selling overpriced accessories. F717 takes a sharper image. Rebel sharpens up better in Photoshop. F717 doesn't support RAW files, though the 828 does. Rebel doesn't do TIFF's, though they are less desirable than RAW.F717 comes with annoying software, not sure about the 828. Rebel comes with annoying software, but also adds Photoshop Elements. Sony black and White mode is a really ugly sepia thing. Rebel has no black and white mode!? I still can't believe this. Rebel does have a sports mode, for that quick jump out of the car train shot. Sony has video mode, but who cares? If I wanted a video camera or a voice recorder I wouldn't have bought a still camera, the Rebel has all the budget invested in still picture taking. Sony has a hinged lens, I love that. Rebel is SLR, I love that. There aren't many high grade third party items for the Sony so you get fleeced by Sony. Many people make accessories for the Rebel so you can chose your fleecer. Rebel is not as good as the D10. Rebel is pretty darn close to being as good as the D10. Rebel will get you more pats on the back from the doddering, dull, old guard. F717/828 is the true "Rebel." Bottom line: they are both great cameras and now I don't know what to take out with me. The real bottom line? It's hard to find a bad camera these days; they are all pretty good. My personal bottom line: Don't take your loyal customers for granted.