PDA

View Full Version : Laughable "journalism"

4kV
07-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Whoever wrote this "story" sure shows they don't know the difference between crap and apple butter. It's humorous to see the newsworthy implications this bozo makes out of all these mundane and very normal tidbits of info, when in fact this is something that happens quite routinely, probably hundreds of times a day across the country.

http://www.10news.com/news/4699778/detail.html?subid=22100481&qs=1;bp=t

The problem with this uneducated news reporting is that it "informs" the masses who otherwise do not know (and still don't.) Now there are thousands of people probably saying, "My God, they abandoned a train and went home in a taxi. How could they? That is absolutely shocking!"

Why not write up a dramatic story about a man eating a bologna sandwich at a diner?

ssw9662
07-10-2005, 12:59 PM
What a load of crap, these people need to figure out that a stopped train is not a threat to security. They should quit wasting their time doing that and arrest the wierd-smelling guy with the backpack.

dodi4200
07-10-2005, 01:02 PM
the rules here in egypt that the engineers of the train should work for 12hours and after the 8 hours of work they send arequest for another crew .
the other new crew get to the position of the train in about 4hours then the first crew went to its homes and the second one get into the loco.so i think that wat happened there is anormal thing thats really happened not just in US but also all over the world.

busyEMT
07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I have heard many a crazy call dispatched by police, but never that a train is left idling (not running) somewhere!

Why not write up a dramatic story about a man eating a bologna sandwich at a diner?

That, my friend is tragedy T.V.! And newspapers and local channels wonder why thier readership and viewership is fading. People are tired of non-stories or minimally impactful events to lead with dramatic details.

You probably noticed that they explained why the crew left, but those facts seemed unrelated to the story. I find it funny that the crew left a note in the cab.

And the title of the story: Crew Abandons Running Train in Bay Park*. Until I read the story, I pictured the crew throwing themselves from an out of control frieght train.

My personal commentary, is that too many communities and "groups" meddle in private company business. Set aside the obvious interest of the Unions and employees, there are plenty of advocacy groups that pushed for things like the 12-hour rule, for the safety of the community. Well, when a hypothetical situation is averted (derailments), and an acutal injury or death occurs (as did in Texas a couple of years back, when a schoolgirl crossed mid-train because it was blocking several crossings) the potential risk is moot.

Mark my words, when more towns and cities impose "whistle ban" areas, all the saftey measures at crossings aren't going to prevent injury and death. Who will be blamed? The railroad of course. I may be going a bit far, but I could foresee trains having to stop at crossings, like an automobile.

I see my time has run out and the soapbox is needed elsewhere.

* Author's emphasis.

Ru1056
07-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Officers spotted the train sitting stationary on the tracks in the 1400 block of West Morena Boulevard at about 11 p.m. Thursday, and found it had been left with its engine running and brake set, SDPD Sgt. Rich Nemetz said.

Gee, where do I sign up for the "abandoned" train patrol? I will take that assigment on, camera in hand :p

Maybe if the SDPD gave a reason why the train was a security risk at 11pm at night by a park, the story would have some more validity. People will forget this story by tomorrow.

have heard many a crazy call dispatched by police, but never that a train is left idling (not running) somewhere!

Speaking of crazy calls had a guy yesterday that tried to kill himself by drinking four bottles of hairspray. Luckily he went to the hospital on his own power. Although, he was a bit high, and said it tasted awful.

busyEMT
07-10-2005, 07:57 PM
drinking four bottles of hairspray.

A stiff drink!

ME 488
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Guilford crews die in Brunswick all the time. The leave the engine(s) there over night and then a new crew takes that train the next day. They only leave the engines running overnight in the winter.

trainmonster
07-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Speaking of crazy calls had a guy yesterday that tried to kill himself by drinking four bottles of hairspray. Luckily he went to the hospital on his own power. Although, he was a bit high, and said it tasted awful.

OT-I used to be a drug counselor in a detox and you wouldn't believe how many callers wanted to detox from Listerine. Yuck!!

Don't even get me started about the media and Hollyweird.

Rich

Ru1056
07-11-2005, 02:33 AM
OT-I used to be a drug counselor in a detox and you wouldn't believe how many callers wanted to detox from Listerine. Yuck!!

We used to have a guy here in Indy who we called Listerine Larry. He was a real pain in the backside when he was drunk. But at least his breath didn't smell all that bad.

Also I had guy once almost comatose from drinking a whole bottle of cooking sherry.

brunswickrailfan
07-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Try to see this from both sides. It's quite easy for someone to misconstrue railroads' operating procedures.

Is it possible that the author and editor have no idea what the difference between "running" and "idling" is as it is related to the RR industry?

What I find interesting is that the crew left the train...period. Don't they have to wait for the recrew???

4kV
07-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Is it possible that the author and editor have no idea what the difference between "running" and "idling" is as it is related to the RR industry?

I'd say probable. And that is the trouble. These people report on things about which they haven't a clue, then play it up, and all the while the public deems it credible. You know, I saw it on TV, so it has to be true.

What I find interesting is that the crew left the train...period. Don't they have to wait for the recrew???

Not if another crew isn't called. There are trains around STL here that sit for two days without a crew. When they go off duty, the van comes and gets them, then takes them to the hotel. This is routine. Tie the train down, and get on home or to the hotel.

E3429
07-11-2005, 03:54 AM
They leave them sit around here in SW Ohio all the time, too. It's no big deal until somebody starts over thinking. Usually the reverser or some other component is removed so it's not like someone's just going to hop on and take off with it.

4kV
07-11-2005, 04:02 AM
They leave them sit around here in SW Ohio all the time, too. It's no big deal until somebody starts over thinking. Usually the reverser or some other component is removed so it's not like someone's just going to hop on and take off with it.

In March of 1992, two juveniles, I think they were 12 years old or maybe even younger, stole two UP locomotives downtown in St. Louis. The route happened to be lined so that they made it all the way across the river, through Valley Junction, and south on the Chester Sub. I'm sure they ran through a switch or two, but who's counting? If memory serves me, it was either intentionally derailed, or happened to derail. They ran, but were caught.

Anyway, someone probably got in trouble over that one. Obviously the reverser was left in place, or at least accesible. Basically, the whole works were set up for this to take place. I'm sure that is by far the exception. Most trains or engines don't have reversers in place when sitting unattended.

Pat Lorenz
07-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Like brunswickrailfan was saying, the reporter needed to be more clear as to running vs. ideling. When he says running it makes me think that the train was in movement. It is kinda wierd that they didnt wait for a re-crew, and that they took a taxi home, but there probably wasnt another crew and the RR crew transport was probably a couple of hours behind. I think if we heard the radio transmition between that crew and dispatch it would clear up alot. Obviously this reporter was just looking to fill a colum provoking more terrorist panic for people.

Out here in AZ on the UP, its so messed up that crews probably work 12 hours and get about 50miles. Usually when a train is in a siding near Tucson, they wont be getting out for a couple hours. UP dispaching isnt efficent at all, although that is a very obvious statement.

E3429
07-11-2005, 06:07 AM
That's why I said 'usually'. Not saying it never happens, but I know security around these unattended trains is higher post 9-11-01 than it was in '92. And yeah, I'm sure somebody got in trouble for that one, not including the two who went for the joy ride.

4kV
07-11-2005, 06:16 AM
That's why I said 'usually'. Not saying it never happens.....

I know, I was just furthering the thread. And yes, it was probably several people aside from the little bums that took the engine who got in trouble.

dodi4200
07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
yea also it happened in egypt i think in 1998 at the station of SIDI GHAZI about 50 from my city there was aballast train 2 henschel locos and 30 ballast cars and the train was stopped in the station because the crew wanna to go to the bathroom.
then 2 guys get into the loco the reveser was in it they made the loco run at speed level4 and jumped out from the loco then then train was without anybody dat control it.
in the next station EL KOOM EL TAWEL the manager of the station sent engineer and while the train was crossing the station the engineer jumped into it and stopped it.
so i think that before the crew of the bnsf loco get to thier homes they sent arequest for the other crew. as i think :D

brunswickrailfan
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
And remember, don't grill the messenger...

They write about what they get from incident reports from the scene...not imagination.

busyEMT
07-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Try to see this from both sides. It's quite easy for someone to misconstrue railroads' operating procedures.
That is the problem. If they don't know, it is a function of their job to atleast learn for the story. A reporters job is to convey facts in order to accurately report an event.

Even if they weren't sure of correct terminology, there was more clear language which could have been used.

Imagine this headline (and sub title):
Shippensburg Man Shoots BNSF Engineer at Work
Police detained local photographer for questioning after receiving several 911 calls.

Now imagine this headline (and sub title):
Local Rail Photographer Questioned by Police After 911 Calls
A Shippensburg man was photographing BNSF employees at work, police say he was on public property and posed no threat.

tomt
07-12-2005, 06:45 PM
They should quit wasting their time doing that and arrest the wierd-smelling guy with the backpack
``````````````````````````````````````````
and hows this going to help anything?

ssw9662
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
They should quit wasting their time doing that and arrest the wierd-smelling guy with the backpack
``````````````````````````````````````````
and hows this going to help anything?

I meant the terrorist in with the odd-smelling and rather large backpack.

bnsf sammy
07-15-2005, 12:22 AM
I live right around there and it was the nightly freight, and the crew had done their 12 hours. It just so happenes that at CP MORANA, (thats where the train was stopped) their is an Arco station, and there was a new person on duty who had never seen a train stopped, let alone a freight train. So i guess they reported it to the cops, and then it became a story. I guess they thought the train was going to blow up interstate 5 or something. I got this info from a friend, so i'm not sure its all true, but it makes sence. ;-)