PDA

View Full Version : Camels????

Gregory Wallace
09-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I was browsing the photos just now, and came across this startling photo. Do camels actually run wild in W. Texas? I've never heard of that!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=30245

~Gregory

iCe
09-30-2003, 08:15 PM
camels.....CAMELS????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guilford350
09-30-2003, 09:05 PM
:shock: Wow, since when did Egypt get grasslands and unit coal trains?! :D :P

In the description it says, "wild camels" but maybe they're part of a wildlife reserve??

That's a very interesting photo. :)

Gregory Wallace
09-30-2003, 09:25 PM
I took the time to drop a private message to the photographer of the camel-photo... hope we'll get an answer to this thing.

~Gregory

iCe
09-30-2003, 10:50 PM
thanks for doing that...because it is very strange!

E.M. Bell
09-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Them aint camels..just Texas size Rats...

you know they grow every thing big down there :D

Gregory Wallace
09-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Being an impatient person, I did a little web-surfing and found some info. In the mid-1800's, the US Army experimented with using camels as pack animals in the desert West. The experiment failed for numerous reasons, and one account of the tale ended with these words:

The Texas herd was auctioned off in 1865, but some were
released into the desert. For years after the dissolution of
the U.S. Camel Corps, camels wandered at will across the
American desert. Bactrian camels, who had been bought
and later set loose by a mining concern in British Columbia,
drifted south to Nevada and Idaho. Many Arabian camels
roamed through Texas, California, and Arizona. The last
authenticated sightings of camels in the wild occurred in the
early 1900s.

Nowhere did I find a mention of actual wild camels still living in Texas. In fact, several websites claimed the imported camels did poorly on the rocky US deserts, their feet being more accustomed to softer sands of Africa and Asian deserts.

Lastly, I did discover a few outdoors adventure companies that were offering "Camel Treks" through the desert. So I'm guessing that those camels were either on a wildlife preserve, or part of a herd used for the camel-treks.

Stay tuned..... I fully expect (and hope) to be proven wrong at any moment. :lol:

iCe
09-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Them aint camels..just Texas size Rats...

you know they grow every thing big down there :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Gregory Wallace
10-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Hey, everybody -- I got an answer from Bob about those krazy, wacky, koo-koo kamels that live in Texas. Here's part of what he wrote about them on another site. Thanks, Bob! :)

<< ... They are running wild in an enclosed area about a section in size. No one knows (well, I'm sure the owner does!) if they are descendants of army camels used in 1800s. There is another herd North of my in-laws at Iowa Park Tx. They are there apparently to keep mesquite trees in check which they do a good job of that. They are not Wild in the true sense of the word like the herds that roam the California deserts as they are owned by someone, somewhere. (Since have heard a person perhaps in Kansas), but they have been elusive and I just thought it would be a fun photo. Apparently a lot of people do too!! The guy who saw it and posted a link on Trainorders.com with the subject "BNSF lands Iraq coal contract???" (which I have sense used a variation of that theme)... >>

iCe
10-03-2003, 07:13 PM
I see... very interesting