PDA

View Full Version : Printing vs. DPI=total confusion

trainmonster
07-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi all,

I hate to admit it, but I've been at a loss here because I only use my monitor for viewing, so far. I use a Sony Cybershot 7.2 mp-photos come out at 72 DPI; when I put the image into Photoshop and resize to my usual 975 pix. wide, Photoshop indicates that my print will be an 8X10 or thereabouts. Fine. That's the size I want. At 72 DPI, will I get a good print or will it fall all apart on paper? (Please, no "get a better camera"-I haven't had work for a year.)

Then: when I scan a slide, I can scan it >1600DPI (ex.) and Photoshop will indicate some ridiculous small size. Scanning wrong or leaving something out in Photoshop?

This is a math thing-I have a learning disability in math so this is complete confusion; sometimes I deal with things by not dealing with them so I've just said "forget it" and view on my monitor. But now I want to print some high quality photos. So I'm turning to you folks for some enlightenment.

Thanks,

Rich

Donna
07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Photoshop indicates that my print will be an 8X10 or thereabouts. Fine. That's the size I want. At 72 DPI, will I get a good print or will it fall all apart on paper?

Rich,

What works great for me is to keep the photo the original size after I sharpen or twik it to my liking. Then I choose the size when I am in the print menu of Photoshop.

ddavies
07-22-2005, 12:36 AM
The general rule of thumb is to figure 200 dpi for a color printout. Divide the total pixels (length, width) of your image by 200 to get the max size of print (it is going to be closer to 4x6, than 8x10).

If you are printing on a higher resolution printer, then divide by its resolution, but the print will be smaller still.