PDA

View Full Version : 'Jagged' Rotation (When Leveling Horizon)

Flowing
07-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Whenever I rotate an image to make the horizon more level, I notice that straight lines get noticable 'jags' where the line seems to shift slightly. It seems that they are more prevalent the more the image is rotated. Is there any way to minimize the appearance of these jags? Or is this not a problem with higher end photo editing software? I am using the free Irfan View 3.85.

Thanks,

CUDA7185
07-22-2005, 02:25 AM
I often use version 3.92 of Irfan View (although typically not for photo editing) and I have had the same problem. I would recommend using a program such as Photoshop for doing more detailed editing such as rotations.

Matt

Donna
07-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Photoshop tends to be expensive. Lots of people say Elements is excellent for general photo editing.

Guilford350
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I use PS Elements and have had no problems with "jaggies" when free rotating.

ssw9662
07-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Same here, Elements isn't jagged.

However, I noticed that Paint Shop Pro softens the pic slightly when it is rotated, those who use PSP might want to sharpen their pics after rotating. :-)

mtrails
07-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I use IrfanView 3.97, and haven't noticed a problem with lines when rotating. Of course there is somewhat of a "jag", but quite minimal.

Flowing, are your photo's at least 3 MP? Maybe just upgrading to the newest version of IrfanView will help?

Flowing
07-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, my photos are 5 MP. There's no reason not to upgrade though so I probably will. The jags I get in my photos are usually not even enough to be noticed by the casual observer (especially if the rotation is less than 1.5 degrees, which I don't have to rotate beyond very often), I guess since I know to look for them they jump out at me.

Thanks everyone for your input.