PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! My locomotives!

crazytrain
10-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Just had a slight accident today with my H.O. scale locomotives! :(

They were sitting on a board while I worked on them(stupid move), when one of the animals that prowls this house decided to admire them, while I stepped away. Five of them slid off the board, onto the floor. We're not talking about toys here, either. They're some of my best work since getting into model railroading some sixteen years ago. Of the five, only three sustained damage and one, a high hood Norfolk Southern SD40-2, is going to need quite the overhaul. I quit counting how many times this has happened in the past, so I'm getting real good at repairing them, but this needs to stop! You'd think that after the second or third time it happened, I would have learned to keep an eye on them.

O.K. venting complete. Just decided to write this as opposed to taking it out on those "innocent" critters, which I would never do in the first place!.

iCe
10-02-2003, 08:21 PM
that's too bad, but accidents do happen

crazytrain
10-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Yes they do! Good for incorporating realistic repair damage. On a good note, it looks like the Kato SD80MAC is going to last forever. It actually left a dent on the wall baseboard when it fell and has no damage at all! That's the one I was concerned about. I can usually tell a good locomotive by the damage it sustains in an "accident".

Guilford350
10-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get those locomotives repaired and running again.

I have a layout too and a cat also, bad combonation. He's been on it a few times in the past but luckly he's only knocked over rolling stock.

Trainman51
10-03-2003, 01:45 AM
NOOOOOOOO NOT THE Very Reliable SD40-2.

crazytrain
10-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Ripped both plows off, messed up the handrails and broke one coupler off the Dash 2. A GP50 HH, GP38 HH, and SD60 also fell off the board, with the 50 sustaining slight damage to the step railing and the SD60 loosing a front plow. -Also on the board were 2 Dash 9's, another GP50 HH, 1 GP60 and 3 Conrail SD40-2s, but none of those made it to the floor!

All of the 3 damaged will be operational by Saturday afternoon. :wink:

Gregory Wallace
10-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Do you take photos of your locomotives? It'd be fun to see them....

~Gregory

Guilford350
10-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Yes, I would like to see some photos :) Sounds like you have a very nice layout.

crazytrain
10-03-2003, 03:00 PM
I've been wanting to photograph the locomotives for a while now. I don't have a layout at the present time, but plan on making a small display layout to take pictures on. Made several test layouts in the past, but none at this time. I have been building models and stuff for a future NS/Conrail layout. It will most likely be set in Virginia, or Ohio, and will replicate the awesome pictures I've seen of the Norfolk Southern's opperations at those two locations. Seeing big coal trains slowly snaking through reverse curves, set in a rural towns is my favorite! That and fast RoadRailer trains. I'm debating on whether to paint some of the Conrail locomotives into the NS scheme. The SD80MAC will stay Conrail blue, however! Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have some pictures of the NS units.

Trainman51
10-03-2003, 03:27 PM
crazytrain,
have you looked at some of my photos of Norfolk Sothern because I live relly close to the old N&W Shenandoah Valley line and do most of my railfanning on it since some far off relatives worked for the N&W a many of year ago but I have taken alot of photos in rural towns I don't hev much access to many reverse curves but have a few photos that were taken in rural towns that may help and once I get a roll of film devloped I will have a coal train that is snakeing around a part of a reverse curve with up rentals that depending on how it turns out I could send to you or post on railpictures.net i do hope some of my photos can help with the setting even though i don't get much other that black and white with not many blues and NO MACs for some reason. I Would also like to see photos. :wink:

iCe
10-03-2003, 08:11 PM
yes, I would love to see model photos, and not only from crazytrain

Williamb
10-07-2003, 05:42 PM
[quote="crazytrain"]Just had a slight accident today with my H.O. scale locomotives! :(

CATS and TRAINS do not go together. The layout room must be a feline free zone!

Gregory Wallace
10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
williamb wrote:
<CATS and TRAINS do not go together.>

Unless, of course, the cat happens to be named Chessie. :D

crazytrain
10-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Gregory has been doing his home work! :lol:

It is cat free for the most part. Just have to remeber to close that door after a head count! :wink:

N5VAV
03-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Any model loco shots yet?
I'd love to see too!

Joe
03-28-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure if RP.net would accept model photos. If not, maybe that should be a new photo category!

Guilford350
03-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if RP.net would accept model photos. If not, maybe that should be a new photo category!

I think he means directly posting them to the forums.

But that is a good idea, though! :)

crazytrain
03-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Photos didn't turn out real good. Not even photo album worthy! :lol:

Anyway, all locomotives are operational, and have been put into service. Yes, that means the small layout is up and running! Only 2x7 feet, but packed with fun! Have built a modern looking coal load-out and partially sceniced the layout. Operation uses quite a bit of imagination! Several additions to the loco/rolling stock fleet as well. A friend is going to help photograph both the layout(barely diarama) and some of the rolling stock, so hopfully I will have some "in focus" pictures to share soon.

mtrails
11-02-2004, 07:37 AM
This topic hasn't been replied to in awhile, and just reading it tonite, I became giddy about my own HO locos! :D I have a 4x8 layout that is just a few months old, and would like to share my favorite locos... Burlington Northern, GP40's. The lead loco, #3061 was dropped a few months ago when I was ready to run it on the layout for the first time. I was grasping it by the dynamic brake housing (which was supposed to have been glued 10 years ago!), and it came off of the loco in my hand, and the loco fell straight to the floor. Miraculously, not a single part of the loco was damaged! This shot was taken tonite, on (so far) the most scenic part of the layout. This is "railpictures" isn't it!?

http://www.geocities.com/mmetalhhead/bns.jpg

Gregory Wallace
11-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Layout looks great!

crazytrain
12-27-2004, 03:33 AM
I know, it's about time. PICS!

Edit:
As soon as I figure out how to post them... :roll:

Go here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gnikwr/my_photos

tomt
07-23-2005, 10:55 PM