PDA

View Full Version : Photo of the week

iCe
10-04-2003, 09:23 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=33479

The current photo of the week is simply spectacular. I really think it should be added to the Editor's Pics!

Everyday I come here and everytime I can't stop myself from clicking on that photo!

It looks so perfect it's like it's staged! First, the background. I've seen few sceneries that represent nature better. The stream, the trees, and the cliff! Just the perfect composition. Then the train itself, three beautiful bright orange engines with identical cars for as far as you can see. Perfect lighting and great quality...it's amazing!

oltmannd
10-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Agreed!

I think somewhere I have a print of a photo I took from the dome car of the Empire Builder going East at that exact location in April 1973. I'll have to try to find it and scan it.

-Don

Guilford350
10-08-2003, 09:15 PM
The new photo of the week is spectacular as well :) :http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=33317

iCe
10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I guess that's why they are Photos of the week! :D

cnw8542
10-28-2003, 02:11 AM
I think it is in VERY poor taste for Chris Starnes, the site founder to not only pick one, but TWO of his photos for the "photo of the week" within the first month of its inception. It shows a great deal of selfishness in my opinion. Heck, maybe I should start a site and put MY OWN work on every week as the photo of the week. Very poor taste, Chris! This weeks photo isn't nothing worth publishing anyways! Heck, if ANYONE BUT CHRIS would have submitted it, it would have been rejected for "Bad Motive" or one of their stupid, lame excuses that they give you. I've noticed that this sites photo standards have gone right into the toilet, and this weeks "Photo of the week" by Chris Starnes is living proof. This site should be renamed "Rosterpictures.net"
AMEN!
Dustin Trejo

Chris Kilroy
10-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Wow, Dustin! Your post is so factually incorrect that I honestly don't even know where to begin.

I think it is in VERY poor taste for Chris Starnes, the site founder to not only pick one, but TWO of his photos for the "photo of the week" within the first month of its inception. It shows a great deal of selfishness in my opinion.

I am the founder of this site, not Chris Starnes (Starnes for the purposes of this post). I asked Starnes, when the idea for this site popped into my head, if he would consider being the Assistant Administrator, given his detailed knowledge of trains, and rail photography.

I do, however, pay the server bills, collect all ad revenues, set the photo standards, and ultimately, have the final decision in any goings on at RP.net. That is not to diminish the work that Starnes does here at all... he does an absolutely killer job... but that's the way it is.

Chris Starnes had absolutely nothing to do with the selection of the Photo of the Week, and never does. Again, this is my decision. I picked this photo because it was one of two photos uploaded in the past week featuring pumpkins, and I wanted to have a Halloween-themed Photo of the Week. I thought it'd be neat, and I thought Starnes' shot was the best out of the two.

Heck, maybe I should start a site and put MY OWN work on every week as the photo of the week.

You go right ahead!

I wish you all the luck in the world of creating the web's largest database of rail photos from the ground up in less than 10 months, as we've done here.

This weeks photo isn't nothing worth publishing anyways! Heck, if ANYONE BUT CHRIS would have submitted it, it would have been rejected for "Bad Motive" or one of their stupid, lame excuses that they give you.

That is absolute bullshit. Hell, if we're going to make this discussion about "motive," that photo has one of the best I've ever seen. Autumn, a crisp clear day, a train, and some pumpkins right before Halloween. It doesn't get much more 'motivated' than that.

Given the compliments made both publicly and privately by some of the most respected and well-known photographers at this website regarding that photo, I'm not alone in my opinion that it's a killer shot and definitely worth of Photo of the Week.

I've noticed that this sites photo standards have gone right into the toilet. This site should be renamed "Rosterpictures.net"

Again, completely uncalled for and unsubstantiated.

Check this graphic:

http://www.railpictures.net/graphics/stats.gif

These are the photo acceptance/rejection stats for the entire site since October 1.

Note that only 57.19% of uploaded photos have been accepted. 2328 photos have been rejected in 27 days.

You say that the site's standards have gone into the toilet... I challenge you to upload 10 of your photos. I bet not one of them would pass the test.

In the mean time, piss off.

iCe
10-28-2003, 04:27 AM
Actually he has 20 photos in the DB...though I doubt it would help his case by showing them here. They do not really advertise the 'higher standards' that he is screaming for. :P

Anyways, I personally think Chris S's photo is very good. Seeing that Hallowe'en is just around the corner, there's enough justification to show this photo as Photo of the Week. But this is a opinion matter, so Dustin, you may not agree. However, what ticks me off is that you come here and insult Chris Starnes for chosing his own photo when it's just a blank assumption. As Chris Kilroy explained, he is the one who choses these photos. I do not blame you for not knowing this, but please do not make a fool of yourself by freaking out and going on about something you have no idea about.

And then you complain how the standards of the site have gone down. Seeing that you only have 20 photos in the database, and the most recent ones were accepted in July, quite frankly, you should not be the one asking for higher standards. :roll:

Chris Starnes
10-28-2003, 05:02 AM
Chris has pretty much said everything I could say about the selection of the POTW. I am honored that he wanted one of my photos for the main page, but everyone must realize that is HIS decision, I had nothing to do with it!

Having said that, I am asking Chris (as a photographer, not an Admin) to remove that POTW and select another. I didn't feel comfortable with the selection of the night shot a few weeks ago and this one this week didn't make me feel much better. Like I said, I am honored that Chris wants it there, but I agree that it shouldn't be there considering my position here.

We have agreed to make no more Admin's photos POTW in the future, however our screeners and forum moderator's photos are still eligible for selection.

In the future, Dustin, I suggest you gather your facts a little better before stepping out on a public forum and throwing a fit when very little you said was accurate. After looking at your photos which have been accepted, your opinion of my photo means very little to me (with the exception of 30724, which I kinda like). Regardless of that opinion, I do agree that my photo shouldn't have been Photo of the Week.

mojo628
10-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Man..... and I thought I was bitchy when I get a photo rejection. 8)

Jeez!

iCe
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
ya right....you get rejections... :oops:

cnw8542
10-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Edited by Admin: Idiot Alert.

Trainman51
10-29-2003, 12:20 AM
OK NOW ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ADMINS CLOSE THIS TOPIC NOW PLEASE BECAUSE I AM TIRED OF THE INSULTS TO EACH OTHER'S PHOTOS and You cnw8542 from your actions in this topic i personaly think the admins should kick you off the site i know i would if this site was mine!!!!!!!

iCe
10-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Wow, ICE, looks like your photos fit the theme "rosterpictures.net". Nothing impressive about those shots!

Hmm...are these roster shots?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36502
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36275
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36273
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36259
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36256
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36255
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36253
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36253
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35141
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35140
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35139

I just quickly grabbed some from the first page of my photos. Once again, think before you post.

I realize I take some pretty crappy photos, but that's ok. However, I heard some nice comments about them, and I'm happy. Quite frankly, if Dave Kerr says my photos are good and you say they are crap...I don't care. Just look at his photographs and yours...

If you hate roster photos so much, then why do you have 5 uploaded? 5 out of a total of 20 photos is 1/4 or 25%... :roll:

I went back to check...your most recent photo is from July 16, 2003. The first photo in the list is from September 19, 2002. I think you are the one who needs glasses...or a memory check...they are your own photos! You should remember when you took them...

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?name=Dustin%20Trejo

See, Kilroy is bragging about how he built the "worlds largest online photo database", or whatever, but its not hard too, when you accept some of them shots like you see on here. I give a rats ass about them statistics Kilroy posted, because pictures don't lie!

Uhmmm....have you ever tried making a website? How about a website and database like this? If you haven't, try it, and then come back and say it again.

The screeners are hypocritical, biased, inconsistent idiots.

I don't agree. I find the screeners on this site quite fair, and they explain your rejections if you contact them.

ICE on the other hand, has nothing to brag about, his shots, well... :lol:
AMEN!
Dustin Trejo

When did I brag about my shots?

iCe
10-29-2003, 12:34 AM
OK NOW ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ADMINS CLOSE THIS TOPIC NOW PLEASE BECAUSE I AM TIRED OF THE INSULTS TO EACH OTHER'S PHOTOS and You cnw8542 from your actions in this topic i personaly think the admins should kick you off the site i know i would if this site was mine!!!!!!!

I agree :x

All I said was that he should say things he has no idea about (selection of the Photo of the Week), and that I don't understand why he would want higher standards...

Chris Kilroy
10-29-2003, 12:45 AM
He's gone. :P

iCe
10-29-2003, 12:48 AM
lol...you should have told me before...I wasted time typing all that :twisted:

Chris Starnes
10-29-2003, 03:05 AM
I hate I missed his well informed post. I just now got back and see that Chris has cleared the post (as he should have).

I think we will manage without him..... :lol:

Gregory Wallace
10-29-2003, 05:28 AM
Hey, Chris...

When Dustin creates his own website, make sure you DON'T send me the URL! :lol:

Seriously, though -- this is a terrific site, and I'm so glad I found it that I could just wet myself.

Keep up the stellar work, guys...

~Gregory (non-photographer)

nkpjames
10-29-2003, 10:22 PM
I can't say that I agree with 100% of what Dustin posted but I can certainly understand his stance. I joined this site in hopes of gaging my skill level as a photographer. With all the talk of quality standards and so forth I assumed only the good stuff would make it through and I was able to accept rejection for shots that weren't up to snuff.

I've noticed in my short time here that the screening process is extremely inconsistent. How can you say that a picture can be rejected for "bad motive". It's a train picture that is in focus and properly exposed. Who the hell are you people that you can decide someones motive?

I only have a few pictures posted here and that is because I practice self discipline. Not every shot is a winner despite what some may think. So for you guys to "BAG" on Dustin for not having anything posted for X-number of months is absurd at best.

Last week Tim Kohman posted a picture of a CP train at Cooney West. He had another photo rejected that was taken at the same location on the same day of a completely different train. The reason for rejection was "looks too similar to previosly accepted photo". Is this shit for real? One train was a CP and the other a CSX. They look nothing alike except that they run on standard gauge rails. Take a look through your archives and shitcan all the photos that look the same you'll save a hell of a lot on server space.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask that the site owner kindly remove my photos from this site as I no longer care to be associated with such a hypocritical mess.

Jim Nickerson

Chris Starnes
10-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Sorry you feel that way, Jim.

Regarding similar views, I don't personally have a big problem with them. If they are uploaded back-to-back they can get somewhat repetative, but if they are spread out over time, they are fine.

Motive is a personal call, everyone has different tastes. If something is rejected for bad motive and the photographer is unsure why, we welcome an email/appeal for clarification or more details about the rejection.

Your 5 roster shots have been removed per your request.

iCe
10-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Chris,

Don't worry, not everyone feels that way. I, for one, think this site is just great! :D

Chris Kilroy
10-29-2003, 10:56 PM
I can't say that I agree with 100% of what Dustin posted but I can certainly understand his stance. I joined this site in hopes of gaging my skill level as a photographer. With all the talk of quality standards and so forth I assumed only the good stuff would make it through and I was able to accept rejection for shots that weren't up to snuff.

Okay.. we're good so far.

I've noticed in my short time here that the screening process is extremely inconsistent. How can you say that a picture can be rejected for "bad motive". It's a train picture that is in focus and properly exposed. Who the hell are you people that you can decide someones motive?

I own the site, that's who I am. As much as I would like to be able to, we can't accept EVERY shot of EVERY train. Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of a photo that was rejectd as Bad Motive, so I can tell you exactly why that was the case.

I only have a few pictures posted here and that is because I practice self discipline. Not every shot is a winner despite what some may think. So for you guys to "BAG" on Dustin for not having anything posted for X-number of months is absurd at best.

Nobody bagged on Dustin for that. We bagged on him for his insulting remarks toward other contributors, the screeners, and the site admin. No matter what anyone's personal opinion of how things work here is, that does not give them a right to come into these forums and start diminishing other photographers' work, calling people idiots, and the like.

Last week Tim Kohman posted a picture of a CP train at Cooney West. He had another photo rejected that was taken at the same location on the same day of a completely different train. The reason for rejection was "looks too similar to previosly accepted photo". Is this shit for real? One train was a CP and the other a CSX. They look nothing alike except that they run on standard gauge rails. Take a look through your archives and shitcan all the photos that look the same you'll save a hell of a lot on server space.

Did Tim appeal this rejection? To stoop to your level for just a second, "shit happens." Mistakes are made. I find it highly improbable that the screener purposely rejected two shots of two different trains for being too similar. And I'm certain that had he appealed it, I would've accepted it.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask that the site owner kindly remove my photos from this site as I no longer care to be associated with such a hypocritical mess.

I believe CS has already handled this one.

On a final note, I find it quite amusing that your friend Dustin's chief complaint about this site was that it consisted of nothing but roster shots, yet every photo of yours in the database was a roster shot. Go figure.

iCe
10-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Did Tim appeal this rejection? To stoop to your level for just a second, "shit happens."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL

But Jim, seriously, people respect your opinion a lot more if you can just leave the swear words out of it.

nkpjames
10-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks for removing my pics in a speedy fashion.
Seriously ICE, I'm not out looking for your respect so I suppose I won't miss it much.
My posted pics just happened to be rosters because they scanned in OK. I generally prefer to shoot action. I take plenty of garbage shots. In fact last week I went through a few hundred slides and only came up with 58 that were worthy of loading into the slide projector.

Now before you guys get all bent out of shape, you gotta admit posting pictures of Thomas the Tank, welded rail joints and a pair of freight cars coupled together and then rejecting respectable railroad photograhy was bound to tap a nerve with somebody.

Jim Nickerson

iCe
10-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Seriously ICE, I'm not out looking for your respect so I suppose I won't miss it much.
I was genuinely trying to help! I really believe that people take you more seriously when you don't show an bad attitude and use inappropriate language...but if you want to be snide and rude like that, go ahead. I can see a suspension on the horizon.

Now before you guys get all bent out of shape, you gotta admit posting pictures of Thomas the Tank, welded rail joints and a pair of freight cars coupled together and then rejecting respectable railroad photograhy was bound to tap a nerve with somebody.

Jim Nickerson
Hmmmm....how many photos of welded rail joints did you see in the database? I saw one. I found that one of greatest quality (sharpness and lighting). I admit, it isn't my favorite type of photo, but I suppose the photographer and screener both found it artistic and interesting. Anyways, there's no need to come here and make it sound like every photo in the database if of "Thomas the Tank, welded rail joints and a pair of freight cars coupled together", because that's not true.

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about. There's lots of great photos at this site. If you guys think the standards are too low, then screen your own photos and only upload your best. People will notice the quality of your photographs and respect you. If you guys think the standards are too high, try your best and appreciate every photo that gets accepted. If you guys find the screening standards inconsistent, let the screeners and admins know either through the forums or e-mail but in a calm and proffesional manner.

mojo628
10-30-2003, 01:02 AM

Jim Nickerson

Now let me guess who took the photo of welded rail joints......... hmmmmmmmm....... give me second...... oh yeah..... I got it!!

It was me!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=37313

Now look Bozo if you're not happy too bad. There are several types of shots in the database I'm not crazy about either but you see it's a lot like the television. If you don't like it don't watch it. It would be pretty damn boring if the site was run to your tastes. There's a huge freakin' information superhighway out there pal. I'm sure somebody will give you all the space you want to display your masterpieces. In the future just keep me out of your crazy rants!

OK.... time to change the channel. :twisted:

Mojo

Trainman51
10-30-2003, 01:58 AM
Hey Mojo i totaly agree with you.

yardmaster
10-30-2003, 11:09 PM
I recognize these 2 fellows, Dustin and Jim, from a newsgroup I belong to on Yahoo called cpheavyhaul. These 2 guys ridiculed me, and mocked me because I used to post CP train movement through La Crosse Wisconsin. What these 2 don't realize, is that there will be history books written about me because I knew what time every train rolled through this city during this time period. These guys don't seem to like anything related to railroading. They make fun of innocent people for doing stuff they like to do, and I see they are putting this site down for personal reasons. These 2 had better remember, that when the trains are gone, and they are wanting to know something from the past, 'ol Dennis Weber won't be helping these 2 out because they made fun of me!

Guilford350
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
They have nothing better to do. They seem like very negative people who think they control everything. These are obviously a couple of people who I would not like to railfan with.

[Admin Edited: Profile link removed]

nkpjames
10-30-2003, 11:55 PM
I sure can agree with that. I wouldn't fan with you either. In fact I prefer to screen my fanning partners quite closely. I leave the posers behind.
And yardmaster, I'll be sure to check out your history books in the near future.

I can't understand how you can all keep ripping on a guy after he's been banned and can't even defend himself.

I see there's about 330 pictures missing from the database. What's up?

Jim Nickerson

yardmaster
10-31-2003, 12:01 AM
I may not like the guy, but I wouldn't go around advertising personal profiles and stuff like that. Im sure you could get into a little bit of trouble for doing stuff behind ones back like that :shock: , without them being able to defend themselves.

Chris Starnes
10-31-2003, 12:08 AM
The point of the post has been made and dealt with - no need for name calling or futher debate about Dustin or anyone else. Time to move on....